This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inspector crashes and OpenCPN doesn't start
Hi OpenPlotterers,
I just came across this amazing project and luckily had still two unemployed RasPi B+ on board, so downloaded the OpenPlotter 0.8.0 IMG and set it up (via TightVNC through ethernet, later USB WiFi connected to Android hotspot).

I tried both RasPi's, two virgin 16GB SD cards, freshly formatted, but on both systems (logged in via TightVNC and / or RDP from Windows10), the INSPECTOR crashes. But only, if a serial port is activated, and it seems like it's receiving some data (usually one field is filled with a tiny bit of data before it hangs). KPLEX is working fine, I'm streaming AIS&GPS data to my laptop, marinetraffic, AISHUB. I get no error message when running OP in terminal, as I assume it's only an inspector problem.
It doesn't matter if I attach a USB GPS or my em-trak B100 AIS transceiver via USB, both result in the same hang up on both RaspberryPis.

Also, I can't start OpenCPN. When I try, I don't even see it in "top" or task manager.
zyGrib on the other hand is working fine, though.

Would be happy if someone could point me in the right direction of how to fix these problems, I intend to make this my primary data hub.

Ahoy
Axel

Attached Files Image(s)

Raspi B+ hasn't got enough RAM and processor power for 0.8.0. Minimum requirement is Raspi 2.
It is a pain to work with opencpn on B+.
(2016-09-22, 04:39 PM)e-sailing Wrote: Raspi B+ hasn't got enough RAM and processor power for 0.8.0. Minimum requirement is Raspi 2.
It is a pain to work with opencpn on B+.

Thanks, I thought it's a bit slow, but want to use it headless anyway. Still strange that the inspector does not even work. That shouldn't take up so much RAM if you ask me. I was even able to log in via RDP with 3200x1800 resolution (as I didn't change it in the beginning) and it worked slow, but flawless. And OpenCPN definitely works on some RasPi B+ AFAIK, so this seems like another problem.
But an upgrade is planned, even though I'm rather thinking about a PINE64 (www.pine64.org) than a RasPi3, also with the PADI in mind as wifi sensor hubs for just 2$. Any thoughts and discussions on that more than welcome - might open up a new topic on this later after some more research.
Ok, I guess I fixed at least the SignalK-server. I had to install nodejs myself:
wget https://nodejs.org/dist/v4.5.0/node-v4.5...v6l.tar.xz
tar -xvf node-v4.5.0-linux-armv6l.tar.gz
cd node-v4.5.0-linux-armv6l
This is the armv6 version, which is neccessry.
Best of luck,
Axel