This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stepper driving leadscrew
Hi all, Chris here from Bowling Green, Ky.    Restoring a Rhodes 28' sailboat (tiller) and plan to singlehand a lot.  I'm primarily an electronics guy, but have a small home machine shop.

I've been talked out of the tiller pilots and similar, hearing serious reliability issues.  I have a 5/8" stainless leadscrew, and a bronze bearing.   I'm wondering if anyone has driven this kind of thing with a nema 23 size stepper using a commercial stepper driver?  Would I need an additional arduino to glue the driver to the autopilot's output?  A stepper may not be ideal, but I'm not sure I like a standard brushed motor with gearbox in a marine environment ...
(2019-11-09, 05:30 PM)trebleplink Wrote: Hi all, Chris here from Bowling Green, Ky.    Restoring a Rhodes 28' sailboat (tiller) and plan to singlehand a lot.  I'm primarily an electronics guy, but have a small home machine shop.

I've been talked out of the tiller pilots and similar, hearing serious reliability issues.  I have a 5/8" stainless
These break usually for:
1) stripped gears/belts broken belts
2) water in electronics

If you keep the electronics below and dry it will solve #2. The motor controller in pypilot has protection from stalling, and soft start which helps a lot with #1 but can still happen with the wrong settings.

Quote: leadscrew, and a bronze bearing.   I'm wondering if anyone has driven this kind of thing with a nema 23 size stepper using a commercial stepper driver?  Would I need an additional arduino to glue the driver to the autopilot's output?  A stepper may not be ideal, but I'm not sure I like a standard brushed motor with gearbox in a marine environment ...

The cheap tiller pilots use this. The better ones use ball screws. Usually there is a brushed dc motor and belt or gear to the lead screw rather than a stepper motor.

If the stepper motor has enough torque (not sure about nema23 if it's enough) it could go directly with a coupling, but then you would need to modify the motor controller sketch to drive a stepper motor.

brushed dc motors are better for this application unless you have a closed loop stepper controller. They are good enough for autopilots and don't require an extra sensor like the alternatives.

A more efficient alternative is to use a brushless motor with sufficient torque to drive a ball screw directly. It should also have angular sensor on the shaft.