This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PyPilot doing remarkably well on long trip
(2021-04-19, 07:58 AM)ironman Wrote: My servo.gain is 6.7. 

To rectify what could be construed as bad advice - I changed back to all default values for the pypilot, including servo.gain back to 1.0, and it works like a charm. It's a miracle to me how these default values work so well for such a range of boat configurations, but they seem to do.
yes, a gain of 6.7 is rather high

I am now simulating boat dynamics as differential equations to hopefully implement various pilot algorithm alternatives to the basic pilot... The basic pilot can require some tuning and will eventually oscillate in certain states if tuned wrong, or if the motor is not fast enough, or if the lag or response time or play in the linkage is too great.
Yet another pypilot movie. Over the last week, I did two 60NM stretches in open sea, almost entirely on pypilot without any problems. Both stretches had wind and waves from behind, normally the most difficult point-of-sail course to hold course. I use the default settings for P and D (0.003 resp. 0.09), added DD (0.1) for quick response to deviations, and FF (2.5) for quick response to manual course changes. The DD gain signifies rotational acceleration: the moment it starts turning, he reacts. It is the only gain I tweak now, but one click from zero seems to be just fine.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/U2iZYgH7XUJBCjqt6
Thanks for making the video!

The FF of 2.5 is quite high. I may need to improve the calculation because there are a few constants involved that users cannot change and I never used such a high value in my tests.

I have a bunch of experimental pilots as well that may or may not improve performance.. so pypilot continues to improve.
(2021-08-07, 04:34 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: The FF of 2.5 is quite high.

I've tried 0.25 and that was not snappy enough, just moved the comma and I loved it. As can be seen at 0:34, I have some remote buttons in the companionway, and with ample FF, these work like a charm, chilling out in the hatch, listening to jazz and steering the boat with my fingertips.

It would be great if those new pilots would be modularly pluggable, so one could test new versions of the pilots without upgrading the entire software. With the dependence of the pypilot, an entire upgrade can have big impact. Looking forward to those pilots, though!