This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AIS sentences missing in OpenCPN (CAN-USB / SignalK)
I have a problem with getting AIS sentences into OpenCPN

I have an E-Track 350 Calls B+ AIS transponder connected to my NMEA2000 network. This is working well and and I see AIS targets on my Simrad chartplotter. 

I have the CAN-USB unit connected to my Pi running Openplotter 2. It is receiving NMEA2000 data from the CAN-USB unit and via Signalk that data is available in OpenCPN. 

The issue is though there doesn't seem to be any AIS sentences at all when check in the OpenCPN diagnostics tab, and so no AIS targets are displayed. 

Unlike in Openplotter 1 there doesn't seem to be any NMEA2000 diagnostics in this version so we can't see what sentences Signalk is receiving from the NMEA2000 network, but since AIS is working fine over the network on my chartplotter I must assume they are there, and for some reason Signalk just isn't doing anything with them.
(2019-11-27, 11:03 AM)mikedeflieslife Wrote: I have a problem with getting AIS sentences into OpenCPN

I have an E-Track 350 Calls B+ AIS transponder connected to my NMEA2000 network. This is working well and and I see AIS targets on my Simrad chartplotter. 

I have the CAN-USB unit connected to my Pi running Openplotter 2. It is receiving NMEA2000 data from the CAN-USB unit and via Signalk that data is available in OpenCPN. 

The issue is though there doesn't seem to be any AIS sentences at all when check in the OpenCPN diagnostics tab, and so no AIS targets are displayed. 

Unlike in Openplotter 1 there doesn't seem to be any NMEA2000 diagnostics in this version so we can't see what sentences Signalk is receiving from the NMEA2000 network, but since AIS is working fine over the network on my chartplotter I must assume they are there, and for some reason Signalk just isn't doing anything with them.

Is the n2k-ais plugin installed?
https://github.com/sbender9/signalk-n2kais-to-nmea0183
No that that wasn't installed. Installing it solved the problem. Thanks.

I don't really understand why it is needed though, as doesn't SignalK already take NMEA2000 sentences and make them available via 0183 without any plugins at all? All my other NMEA2000 is automatically available, it was just AIS that is not.

I've not seen any documentation anywhere that says signalk will ignore AIS sentences but convert heading/wind etc..
You must have had already signalk-to-nmea0183 plugin installed and enabled. Out of the box it does not do any conversions.

AIS data’s structure is more complex, it makes sense to convert it directly from original format.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk