This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sensor board & python help
Yeah, ESPs don't do 9 bit in hardware. At one point a while ago I attempted SoftwareSerial, but was never able to get it to work. Companies like Quark-Elec have been able to do it, and as I remember looking at their board it has an ESP there, but I didn't look at it in detail - there might have been an ATmega on the board as well.

I think your board is excellent as it is designed now. I'm sure you'll always find things you want to tweak!

It may have been asked before, but what was your plan for the current sensor on the board? The reason I'm asking is that I'm just in the process of replacing my batteries and rewiring power systems. I have shunts for current measurement now, but also have a couple clamp-on Hall Effect sensors I've been thinking about installing. Right now I have two equal banks - when I'm done I'll have a single big house bank and a starting battery. Both banks will need to be monitored. My sort of go-to process now is to program up an ESP32 (probably in the form of an M5StickC) to wirelessly send SK data to the PI.
(2020-01-08, 02:04 PM)abarrow Wrote: It may have been asked before, but what was your plan for the current sensor on the board? The reason I'm asking is that I'm just in the process of replacing my batteries and rewiring power systems. I have shunts for current measurement now, 

It isn't up and running at the moment but before I had what seemed to be up near 0.1A accuracy just by piggy backing the INA219 sensor to a battery monitor shunt. Would be better to remove the little R100 0.1Ohm resistor from the INA but the shunt resistance is so low it didn't seem to make much difference. Next time I'll desolder it. Then I used a DC clamp meter to calibrate it, just multiply the result with a number until it looks right. WHat I did anyway  Smile 

[Image: KwGO1N4.png]
Excellent! Great idea. Thanks.
(2020-01-09, 03:05 PM)abarrow Wrote: Excellent! Great idea. Thanks.

Slowly getting to grips with python programming for the ESP32, if and when that ever works OK I'll stick the lot up on github with the files for the JLCPCB PCBs. If they work Smile
(2019-12-17, 01:12 PM)PaddyB Wrote: So questions - any obvious errors in the circuit below? (work in progress, must be some errors in there) 
[Image: ZPu3NwL.png]

Hi Paddy,

you put the ADDR of ADS1115/1 to SDA, could work - but for real use it should be GND. The ADS/2 ADDR should be VCC. 
If there is an spare Board, i could send you my address ;-)

Otherwise - keep on with your good Work, Holger
(2020-01-13, 03:16 PM)holgerw Wrote: Hi Paddy,

you put the ADDR of ADS1115/1 to SDA, could work - but for real use it should be GND. 

You're right, it should be SDA, VCC or GND, might get away with it. Didn't read the datasheet enough there! Smile
Can't remember the default address, 0x48 maybe, same as if ADDR to GND. 

[Image: JDZHi0u.png]
Hey, this is an funny Adressing Sheme, never found anything like it, so the i2C Datalines are in double use!

going back to primary ...

... good Luck 
Holger
(2020-01-14, 08:15 AM)holgerw Wrote: Hey, this is an funny Adressing Sheme, never found anything like it, so the i2C Datalines are in double use!

going back to primary ...

... good Luck 
Holger

Just tried it on another board with ADDR connected to SDA, seems to work OK using address 0x4a. 

Quick look at the INA219 datasheet, it seems to do similar for address changing.
If there are Boards comming from an factory, i would like 3 of them.

PM please: holger (at) fro.at
(2020-01-31, 04:42 PM)holgerw Wrote: If there are Boards comming from an factory, i would like 3 of them.

PM please: holger (at) fro.at

Will upload the files needed to order more of the same boards from JLCPCB  to github and post the link on here at some point.