This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moitessier HAT 2 roadmap
(2020-01-13, 08:34 PM)Sailoog Wrote: sure, but I do not think so: https://github.com/mr-rooney/moitessier/

I have some hypothesis I will post tomorrow here: http://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=2233

Hi Sailoog, found the solution?  Huh
yes
Hello everyone

I have just loaded the 2010-01-13 OpenPlotter-Moitessier-HAT-v2.0 prerelease and I am having problems with the SPI interface. 

The hardware here is Moitessier Hat 1 attached to Rpi4 - 4Gb but I believe same problem exists on Rpi3. 

When I turn on SPI the entire Rpi freezes and I am forced to reboot.  Without SPI, obviously I get no AIS and GPS data from the hat but it looks like there is a conflict.  Status green LED lights on the HAT are both off. 
If I enable SPI directly by commenting out /boot/config.txt (dtparam=spi=on) , Raspberry Pi won't boot at all. 

Any guidance on how to address this is appreciated. 

Cheers

Nick
(2020-01-15, 06:33 AM)NickL123 Wrote: Hello everyone

I have just loaded the 2010-01-13 OpenPlotter-Moitessier-HAT-v2.0 prerelease and I am having problems with the SPI interface. 

The hardware here is Moitessier Hat 1 attached to Rpi4 - 4Gb but I believe same problem exists on Rpi3. 

When I turn on SPI the entire Rpi freezes and I am forced to reboot.  Without SPI, obviously I get no AIS and GPS data from the hat but it looks like there is a conflict.  Status green LED lights on the HAT are both off. 
If I enable SPI directly by commenting out /boot/config.txt (dtparam=spi=on) , Raspberry Pi won't boot at all. 

Cheers

Nick

This happens when you install the driver having SPI off or you disable SPI after installing the driver. This is why we disable "install" button in moitessier hat app when SPI is off.

Uninstall the driver from moitessier hat app or typing:

Code:
sudo dpkg -r moitessier

reboot, enable SPI and install the driver again.

We should add this to docs and maybe add some check and warning to the app, thanks for reminder.
(2020-01-15, 10:48 AM)Sailoog Wrote:
(2020-01-15, 06:33 AM)NickL123 Wrote: Hello everyone

Cheers

Nick

This happens when you install the driver having SPI off or you disable SPI after installing the driver. This is why we disable "install" button in moitessier hat app when SPI is off.

Uninstall the driver from moitessier hat app or typing:

Code:
sudo dpkg -r moitessier

reboot, enable SPI and install the driver again.

We should add this to docs and maybe add some check and warning to the app, thanks for reminder.

Hello there.   Thank you for your help.   The suggestion worked after following the steps provided.  
Best regards
Hi,

I am possibly repeating other posts, but i downloaded and tried both the NOOBS and the IMG with Moitessier HAT and installed on a pi3B+ with Moitessier HAT v1. The image and NOOBS starts to run, but once partition resizing takes place and the unit reboots, it goes into a boot loop and never starts.

The 2020-01-13 image isn't starting for me. I tried two different SD cards to see if it was something to do with the card, but I had pulled the card out of the unit running OPv1 and it was working OK on the old version.

I will try the starter image without the HAT integration setup, but wanted to check if I was doing something wrong or if this is a known issue?

Thanks
(2020-01-18, 05:42 PM)craig Wrote: Hi,

I am possibly repeating other posts, but i downloaded and tried both the NOOBS and the IMG with Moitessier HAT and installed on a pi3B+ with Moitessier HAT v1. The image and NOOBS starts to run, but once partition resizing takes place and the unit reboots, it goes into a boot loop and never starts.

The 2020-01-13 image isn't starting for me. I tried two different SD cards to see if it was something to do with the card, but I had pulled the card out of the unit running OPv1 and it was working OK on the old version.

I will try the starter image without the HAT integration setup, but wanted to check if I was doing something wrong or if this is a known issue?

Thanks

Hi Craig

As per previous post it could be that you have same problem I had.  I was using HAT1 with Rpi3 and Rpi4 and new Moitessier 2 image would not boot out of the box.   Initially I thought it was the HDMI problem but it later turned out to be SPI. 

Try detaching the HAT first and then booting from the image.  If it starts normally follow the steps suggested by sailog on the thread above.   Cheers
(2020-01-18, 05:53 PM)NickL123 Wrote:
(2020-01-18, 05:42 PM)craig Wrote: Hi,

Thanks

Hi Craig

As per previous post it could be that you have same problem I had.  I was using HAT1 with Rpi3 and Rpi4 and new Moitessier 2 image would not boot out of the box.   Initially I thought it was the HDMI problem but it later turned out to be SPI. 

Try detaching the HAT first and then booting from the image.  If it starts normally follow the steps suggested by sailog on the thread above.   Cheers

I installed the starter version, then installed the Moitessier App, it showed that SPI wasn't enabled. As soon as I enabled SPI the Pi hung without recovery, only power off to reboot worked. The Moitessier app downloads the drivers, but the install button is greyed out.

The driver for kernel version shows available, but I cannot install it. When I download the driver directly from Rocco, the deb file installs, but not via the app. The Moitessier app says the driver isn't for my kernel version, but it was the same file that the app showed that I downloaded and manually ran.

When the Pi reboots after the deb install, no other apps can be installed, it said I needed to install the i2c app. To fix this, I needed to run dpkg -a for the install to get it to flash the firmware on the HAT, but the flash failed saying the HAT was in use.
I installed the starter version, installed the Moitessier App, enabled SPI, installed the latest driver with the 1.4.0 suffix and the Pi went into a boot loop. It's exhibiting the same behaviour as when I installed the Moitessier NOOBS version. When I installed the driver, it gave the message that it would reboot and to run the script again and then wouldn't reboot after.
(2020-01-20, 12:09 PM)craig Wrote: I installed the starter version, installed the Moitessier App, enabled SPI, installed the latest driver with the 1.4.0 suffix and the Pi went into a boot loop. It's exhibiting the same behaviour as when I installed the Moitessier NOOBS version. When I installed the driver, it gave the message that it would reboot and to run the script again and then wouldn't reboot after.

We are working on a fix for this issue and we will publish a new driver version soon. This behavior is described in docs: https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/la...ation.html (hey this is the first time I can say RTFM to someone Tongue Big Grin )

But there is something strange. You shouldn't have had problems with the moitessier edition. Couldn't you use it even for the first time?