This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hardware Acceleration for OpenCPN?
Is there a plan to integrate hardware acceleration into OpenCPN?
It seems to me, it would greatly benefit from an OpenGL or similar based chart plotting as the current plotter on the Pi3 is rather slow and on the edge of what I still like to use as a modern chart plotter. 

Rendering the chart as a texture on a 2d plane could solve this.

Maybe I should have RTFM first..
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/doku.p...res:opengl
OpenGL is enabled by default in RPi 4, you just have to enable it in opencpn.

In RPi3 you have to enable openGL in raspberry configuration
I will definitely try that! Since I’m away from home, how’s the experience on the Pi3? Much smoother? Or similar?
(2019-12-28, 05:47 PM)OMcNugget Wrote: I will definitely try that! Since I’m away from home, how’s the experience on the Pi3? Much smoother? Or similar?

It is much smoother and faster, but you must manually add a configuration line to the opencpn configuration file to limit the memory it uses otherwise it will eventually crash.
Ah! I did get crashes. So many, in fact, that I reverted back to non OpenGL.
Is there documentation on how to change the allowable memory usage?
it's too bad the graphics on raspberry has weak hardware and software. I can say boards like the rockpro64 with mali graphics are able to run opencpn much more stable with hardware acceleration.
(2020-01-09, 11:22 PM)McNugget Wrote: Ah! I did get crashes. So many, in fact, that I reverted back to non OpenGL.
Is there documentation on how to change the allowable memory usage?

Is that on a pi b? (not b+) 
I've ran both with fkms without crashing - what charts are you using?
opencpn will crash on rpi3 if you have opengl on in opencpn but not set on in the rpi..
(2020-01-15, 03:35 PM)ddelorme Wrote: opencpn will crash on rpi3 if you have opengl on in opencpn but not set on in the rpi..

maybe this would be nice to get included into the "system checking job" - at least some warning with recommendation to set GPUMemorySize in opencpn.ini file Shy
(2020-02-17, 01:19 PM)SkipperEarly Wrote:
(2020-01-15, 03:35 PM)ddelorme Wrote: opencpn will crash on rpi3 if you have opengl on in opencpn but not set on in the rpi..

maybe this would be nice to get included into the "system checking job" - at least some warning with recommendation to set GPUMemorySize in opencpn.ini file Shy

Good idea