This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2.0.8-beta Network: How to connect to marina?
Running Pi4 with OP 2.0 beta
Connected a usb WiFi controller to be able to connect the AP to the Marina WiFi but cannot find a way to configure this. The usb WiFi is seen as ‘mac’-usb and works perfectly when configured as AP. The eth0 is the ‘sharing internet device’. All fine this way. But how can I connect one of the two WiFi interfaces to the marina (instead of eth0)?
There is just one place to configure SSID.
(2020-01-04, 12:04 PM)Blue Ocean Wrote: Running Pi4 with OP 2.0 beta
Connected a usb WiFi controller to be able to connect the AP to the Marina WiFi but cannot find a way to configure this. The usb WiFi is seen as ‘mac’-usb and works perfectly when configured as AP. The eth0 is the ‘sharing internet device’. All fine this way. But how can I connect one of the two WiFi interfaces to the marina (instead of eth0)?
There is just one place to configure SSID.

Think this s what you asked....

So a USB Wifi dongle is plugged into the Pi and connected to the marina wifi network which has web access, if you want the web to be available on the openplotter network as well then that gets set up in the openplotter network app like this >>
[Image: p3WzVuW.png]

Now signalk etc pages can be accessed either on the openplotter network or on the network the usb dongle is attached to , address will be something like 192.168.*.*:3000 for signalk
Oh, wait a minute. Connecting the Pi to the marina is not done in this screen but simply on the Pi’s desktop!
Stupid me, I expected it all to be in the ‘network’ module.
(2020-01-04, 12:33 PM)Blue Ocean Wrote: Oh, wait a minute. Connecting the Pi to the marina is not done in this screen but simply on the Pi’s desktop!
Stupid me, I expected it all to be in the ‘network’ module.

Alls well then ends, well, connected  Cool
Confusing for me was also that the name wlan0 does not stay with the physical interface. Can the interfaces be given a static name?
Also the two parts in the ‘network’ screen are not very obvious because where you configure SSID that does not belong to the interface mentioned in the field above.
But it works now and that is what counts! Great project!
No. The AP allways gets the static address wlan9. I know that you sometimes have a wlan0 or a wlan1 to attach to the marina AP (has to do with random linux start pocedure). To share the internet connection over the openplotter AP you should better choose "auto" then wlan0 or wlan1. If you choose none everything should work except the connection to the internet from a device connected to the openplotter AP.
(It would be nicer if we had a function that automatically picks the net which has a connection to the internet at the moment. When you leave the marina you will lose wlan connection and connect your smartphone with the usb cable to share gprs internet connection from usb0 ... . If you want to share the internet connection you have to change the setting everytime.
This works whithout reboot!)