This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to set eth0 static IP address ?
Having failed to get my Windows 10 laptop to connect to the OP WiFi AP I am now trying to set my Pi Ethernet port for a static IP address.
I have edited /etc/network/interfaces and it worked once but I think OP is overwriting this file so as to force 10.10.10.1 for the Wlan0

Is this the case and if so which script should I edit to allow me to force a static IP for eth0.

Bye the way if someone has successfully connected a W10 laptop using WiFi and DHCP Id be grateful for guidance.
I can connect my laptop to my router with WiFi (DHCP) but to connect to OP AP I have to set a static IP on my laptops WiFi connection. Does OP have a DHCP server ?

Thanks
Steve
  Huh
Sorry I am not close to any W10 to test this issue. The file that is overwriting /etc/network/interfaces that you are asking for is:
https://github.com/sailoog/openplotter/b..._server.py

Probably this code will change in the next days because the multiple reports about wifi malfunction I need to work on it.

Yes, OP uses dnsmasq as DHCP server.
Still struggling with this
My W10 laptop doesn't pickup an IP address from the OP DHCP server using WiFi or Ethernet.
(My windows CE device does get 10.10.10.x with no problems so I know the OP DHCP server IS running)

I can connect my W10 if I define the WiFi adapter as static IP eg 10.10.10.21

Given that OP overwrites the interfaces file as part of initialisation, I don't really want to mess around with the python scripts. 

I suspect some sort of W10/ DHCP server incompatibility.

Anyone out there successfully using a W10 machine for RDP/VNC. If so any advice welcome  Huh
I use VNC from either iPad and/or Notebook Win10 or Android handphone to drive my rpi'2.
Have set fixed IP addresses AND same network settings for home network (testing) or GSM/Huawei hub which I use at sea/marina

No trouble so far.

Had initially also struggled but primarily as I got confused with the various passwords and networks - that's why have standardized.

In my endeavors to get system going I also tried networkcable on eth0 directly onto Notebook and Win10 as the networkbridge - noticed that this was extremely s l o w ! Configured back on wlan with rpi3 wlan0 for OP and wlan1 = dongle.

hope this helps - dont give up - it works Smile

Good luck!
.pdf   MyOpenPlotterSetup_no pw.pdf (Size: 81.41 KB / Downloads: 301)
(2016-04-05, 02:33 PM)SkipperEarly Wrote: I use VNC from either iPad and/or Notebook Win10 or Android handphone to drive my rpi'2.
Have set fixed IP addresses AND same network settings for home network (testing) or GSM/Huawei hub which I use at sea/marina

No trouble so far.

Had initially also struggled but primarily as I got confused with the various passwords and networks - that's why have standardized.

In my endeavors to get system going I also tried networkcable on eth0 directly onto Notebook and Win10 as the networkbridge - noticed that this was extremely s l o w ! Configured back on wlan with rpi3 wlan0 for OP and wlan1 = dongle.

hope this helps - dont give up - it works Smile

Good luck!

Thanks Skipper
If I involve my home network on WiFi or Ethernet I can access my RPi from my W10 laptop. In this instance I think my home router DHCP is giving out IP addresses. My problem occurs if I try to connect RPi eth0 directly to my laptop or try to use my laptop WiFi to get an IP address from the OP AP DHCP server. I will persevere !

Edit:
I AM A DUMMY !
Its the FIREWALL Confused