This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Restore previously stored compass calibration
Is it possible to add some functionality to restore a previously stored calibration? I just spent 3 hours confined to my helm hand steering again because I lost my compass calibration and was in no position to perform a calibration procedure. 

Having built an entire pypilot in a tiller pilot casing, when you forget to lock your calibration when you swing it away (for instance, when you have to pass a lock or something), in the swung-away state it recalibrates automatically. Then, when you put it on the tiller again, it's basically useless.

Another feature in this context would be to be able to select 'disable automatic calibration when autopilot not active'.

Without these features, those who wish to build the pypilot into a standalone tiller pilot are left with a problem waiting to happen.

Greetings from Terschelling.
(2020-01-09, 06:13 PM)ironman Wrote: Is it possible to add some functionality to restore a previously stored calibration? I just spent 3 hours confined to my helm hand steering again because I lost my compass calibration and was in no position to perform a calibration procedure. 

Having built an entire pypilot in a tiller pilot casing, when you forget to lock your calibration when you swing it away (for instance, when you have to pass a lock or something), in the swung-away state it recalibrates automatically. Then, when you put it on the tiller again, it's basically useless.

Another feature in this context would be to be able to select 'disable automatic calibration when autopilot not active'.

Without these features, those who wish to build the pypilot into a standalone tiller pilot are left with a problem waiting to happen.

Greetings from Terschelling.

This is interesting. Sorry you were hand steering 3 hours. Was it really impossible to make a 360 and recalibrate?

Do you know why the calibration became unlocked? It would not be difficult to make the calibration locked have a third state which is only when active.
Nah it was 6 gusting 7 and once you got your reefs set up you're not going to lower it all to do a jolly 360. Not the worst thing in the world to hand steer for a few hours through a ferociously beautiful sea- an skyshape. Just a suggestion that might come in useful.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
(2020-01-10, 01:02 AM)ironman Wrote: Nah it was 6 gusting 7 and once you got your reefs set up you're not going to lower it all to do a jolly 360. Not the worst thing in the world to hand steer for a few hours through a ferociously beautiful sea- an skyshape. Just a suggestion that might come in useful.

It went a lot better the next day, even though I was a bit overcanvassed when I took this film https://youtu.be/fMSo4rDICJE

I added code to lock the compass auto calibration when the autopilot is on standby. The compass calibration problem was therewith dealt with - for the day. Changing the gains whilst under sail, to respond to different points of sail or wind conditions, is still a big pain.