This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5V power supplies RPI4
I am trying to stabilize my power for a RPI4 OP2 build.
I was using a LM2596  buck converter 3 amps max but I was getting the the low power warning.
I had to up the voltage to about 5.35 volts then no warnings?
I switched to a XL4015 rated for 5 amps max but I have the same issue. This has to be hard on the voltage regulator on the RPI?
Or is my meter bad?
 I am only drawing .54 amps @12 volts and that includes my USB Hub that has its own power. The Pi is drawing less then 1 amp @5 volts this is well within the range of both Buck converters.

Only the powered hub is plugged into the USB and i have the IMU and BME so power draw is at a minimum.
The connection to my 5v pin is though a pi52.com proto-hat the wire is 20 gage and about 2" long round trip.

Any Ideas?
(2020-01-23, 07:48 PM)Rddelorme Wrote: I am trying to stabilize my power for a RPI4 OP2 build.
I was using a LM2596  buck converter 3 amps max but I was getting the the low power warning.
I had to up the voltage to about 5.35 volts then no warnings?
I switched to a XL4015 rated for 5 amps max but I have the same issue. This has to be hard on the voltage regulator on the RPI?
Or is my meter bad?
 I am only drawing .54 amps @12 volts and that includes my USB Hub that has its own power. The Pi is drawing less then 1 amp @5 volts this is well within the range of both Buck converters.

Only the powered hub is plugged into the USB and i have the IMU and BME so power draw is at a minimum.
The connection to my 5v pin is though a pi52.com proto-hat the wire is 20 gage and about 2" long round trip.

Any Ideas?

what is vl805 firmware version?

sudo vl805 

Should output it. 

.54 at 12v is a bit high. 
I have very much same set up
and for me it’s
.45 at 12v

I have issues with self powered hub. 
(Unrelated) rp4 reboot doesn’t happen. 
It just shuts down. 

I would use couple Geekworm X828 SATA board (made by SupTronics Technologies) with their X710 power board. With those I wouldn’t need internal USB hub and 12vDC to 5vDC internal step down converter and save on cabling. 

Currently I use TOBSUN EA50-5V DC 12V 24V to DC 5V 10A 50W Converter Regulator 5V 50W Power Supply Step Down Module Transformer
Download BBN Marine OS for raspberry pi 

https://bareboat-necessities.github.io/m...at-os.html

Video of actual installation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zMjUs2X3qU

VL805 FW version: 000137ab
I dont need sata i have a good 12V external usb hub.
the .54 amps @ 12 is every thing plugged in but monitor off @ battery.
I am trying to fit power supply in the case so i only have 12 V coming into the case via molex plug.

I noticed some strangeness once when I cut power to hub. I had to reset everything as it appeared the hub would not take power if it loses its external. Probable to prevent it from having 2 power sources ie the PI and the 12V main.
Does your pi reboots fine every time if
you leave hub on?

If you turn hub off and pi4 on
does your hub still stay powered from pi?

Thanks,
—MG
Download BBN Marine OS for raspberry pi 

https://bareboat-necessities.github.io/m...at-os.html

Video of actual installation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zMjUs2X3qU

(2020-01-23, 09:42 PM)mgrouch Wrote: Does your pi reboots fine every time if
you leave hub on?

If you turn hub off and pi4 on
does your hub still stay powered from pi?

Thanks,
—MG

yup