This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
repairing my old stw sensor circ 1977

I have an old speed tough water sensor that never worked.. The paddle was broken and one of the magnets were gone. The base of the sensor has a black and red wire the rest is potted
I designed a new paddle based off the old broken one. 
in the ends i put 2 n52 magnets. opposite poles. so in one pocket it has north out and the other side has south out. Sadly I will have to break it to ever get the magnets back as they came with a warning about being a bit on the strong side which i ignored. 

The mystery is when i connect a meter and read the voltage it is about .1 to -.2 volts when spinning?
When i read the continuity it opens and closes. beep. beep .beep as it spins
at rest the magnets will rotate till they line up to the base ie top of the sensor.
I am going to assume it is a magnetic switch.
and the resistance is about 1.85K .

I have no drawing or manuals for the old gage or sensor. I could drive out to the boat and get some pictures.
I would like to add the data to signalK and possible drive the old gage..
Should i treat it just like a davis wind speed indicator? and read an interrupt off a digital pin?
Would the calculation be circumference/2 = distance travelled per pulse?
Is red really the fastest color (colour) for a boat??