This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pypilot and Signal K
Most of this discussion is beyond my understanding of signalk :-(
I have a some understanding of the pypilot client.
While I'll probably never need it is desirable for those with extensive boat networking requirements to have pypilot signalk compatible.
I think one of the big pluses of signalk is it's protocol conversion. code.

Has it been considered to compress the signalk network data with something like gzip.
Should significantly reduce network traffic.
I am sending about 33 data point a second and have not noticed any need to compress then decompress. i think the overhead would be extreme not to mention the lag.

I have been sending my wind data as nmea to work with Pypilot. it would be nice if i could just send SK instead.
A little off topic but I have been sending data to 10110 as a nmea via udp to a SK. I have noticed that Opencpn sees the data but i don't get to use it in pypilot any more.
next version of pypilot supports reading signalk from signalk node.. It doesn't receive signalk directly from sensors yet (I don't have any) but this step shouldn't be difficult to add. Going through node server is going to decrease reaction time to wind shifts.

What advantage does sending wind in SK bring? I can understand if your sensor measures the verticle component of wind, but for speed and direction nmea is more concise and has the same data. Just to eliminate nmea data completely?