This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad IMU?
(2020-02-19, 12:20 PM)It Paradyske Wrote:
(2020-02-04, 03:58 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: First of all, where did you get the IMU?

I am not sure if it is a bad imu bug it's difficult to tell from you screen shots.

Could you plot the raw sensors:
imu.accel   imu.gyro  imu.compass

Usually the gyro will be very high or wrong, and there is new code in pypilot to reset the imu if it detects this.   I think it may come from a misaligned fifo.   It might be possible to enhance the reliability of the driver by adding additional fields to the fifo to ensure the data is aligned.   I am not sure if this is the issue for you ( all sensors wrong)  or just the gyros are wrong.

If you restart pypilot does the problem go away for a while?
Hi Sean,

When did you commit that change to repair the misalignment?
Is it already in the last openplotter version?
Currently I have a problem with the mpu9250, after a couple of minutes (half an hour or so) there seems to be an oscillation, the compass is spinning all over the globe.

Would a mpu9255 be better?

I ll try to make a screenshot of the scope and check if the pull ups on the i2c lines.

I had the same problem with 9255 on my last passage. Sometimes it is had working well for whole day, but sometimes it starts "spinning"  several times in hour. All i did in order to restore correct readings - just had restarted pypilot service and everything worked fine until next incident...

I tried spare MPU, but with same results. I decided that there some kind of problems with power spikes or bad contact on soldering, so i'm waiting next season to test again...
I recently added a few commits to detect bad data from the imu and reset it, so I hope this issue is resolved since pypilot 0.15