This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connect OpenCPN to pypilot
Yeah ethernet makes sense. Didn't think of that.

My issue with wifi is that my rpi4 running openmarine will be serving wifi VNC connection to my android tablet. Yes I could run an additional usb wifi connection but not a big fan of that.
I'm probably over complicating things TBH and probably should just use the pypilot from my openmarine/openCPN to run the motor controller I bought from you but I love the redundancy idea of being able to use the tinypilot if more convenient or tough conditions make it a better choice than running tablet to openmarine autopilot control.
the pypilot computer can act as a wifi client instead. This may be a better solution, but a 3rd device cannot access it without the access point (openplotter in this case)

The latest version supports tinypilot being ap/client at the same time to avoid this. Another way is to make the openplotter pi4 ap and client at the same time.. You dont need an extra usb wifi to have "2" wifi devices.
(2022-06-26, 02:40 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: the pypilot computer can act as a wifi client instead.   This may be a better solution, but a 3rd device cannot access it without the access point (openplotter in this case)

The latest version supports tinypilot being ap/client at the same time to avoid this.     Another way is to make the openplotter pi4 ap and client at the same time..  You dont need an extra usb wifi to have "2" wifi devices.

Ok, that sounds like it might be a better solution for me thanks. To save you having to repeat what you've probably well described elsewhere, which are the best links for the info on setting up an updated tinypilot as access point and client at the same time please?

It won't matter if I can't get my 3rd device (eg. android tablet) to access tinypilot directly when it is setup as you suggest. Mainly I will use the openplotter pi4 controlled through 3rd device to control motor controller but I'd love to have the flexibility to just use tinypilot as a backup or in tough conditions.

Thanks in advance.
If you run openplotter, configure the network as a client.

With tinypilot, visit the web, eg: 192.168.14.1/wifi and change the settings
Ok I can get it mostly working now. I'm running Openplotter (OP) on RPi4 and have set that as access point (AP). I have my Tinypilot (TP) as a client with static connection into the OP AP. I can get the OpenCPN Pypilot plugin to access and control the TP and I can get heading data from TP into OpenCPN via a Signal K connection over NMEA 0183 - all good to this point!

What I can't get is the heel and pitch data from TP into my OpenCPN or Signal K. I read up on marcobergman's (Ironman on this forum?) brilliant wiki on pypilot about the 3 ways to get pypilot into Signal K... with the zeroconf way being the best and the limitations with getting heel and pitch from NMEA. Is there a zeroconf way to get TP data (HDG, Heel and Pitch) into Signal K or some other way please?

Thanks
pypilot outputs the heel/pitch data over nmea0183 or signalk

If you are converting nmea0183 into signalkcce it may lose this? Can you open the signalk control panel and grant pypilot read/write access then disable the nmea0183->signalk conversion as it isnt needed .
My bad, I hadn't granted access in Signal K. Such a simple stuff up that had me trying all sorts of more complicated things!
I've deleted my manual NMEA connection to pypilot in signal K and have the pitch, roll and heading data from tinypilot all coming through into OpenCPN on my rpi4 openplotter installation.
Thanks Sean.