This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connect OpenCPN to pypilot
(2020-02-13, 07:38 PM)xfactor99 Wrote:
(2020-02-13, 07:12 PM)Baltic Sailor Wrote: I need help to get the Tiny Pilot connected to the Openplotter.

Have the Tiny Pilot working in stand alone. Can get to the Tinypilot via Web (198.162.14.1). Processor Raspberry PI3b
The Open Plotter has two WLans one for the Headless (VMC) and one for the Web. Can get to Pypilot (192.168.14.1) Processor  Raspberry PI 4

I know, that I have to configure the rest (Pyilot settings , Signal K etc.). My Gps is on a Usb port. Just don’t Know how to do it. Some hints would be welcome (bang my head....)
Thanks
Frank

To start the easy thing is to use one of the WLAN´s of OP to connect to the Tinypilot.
Get the IP of the WLAN you have connected. (shoud be 192.168.14.1)
Open OpenCPN in OP and set the Pypilot-plugin to that IP.
Mybe later you want the Tinypilot set as an Client and connect it to the OP-Accesspoint I think it is your VMC
Greetings
Andreas

Thanks!

Got the tiny plotter going!
But I find it hard to change it to a client. Once I've changed it to client (using web interface) its lost. Cant fint it, it won't connect, can't ping it...
Any clue?

/ Ola
(2020-02-21, 09:36 PM)Ola_H Wrote:
(2020-02-13, 07:38 PM)xfactor99 Wrote:
(2020-02-13, 07:12 PM)Baltic Sailor Wrote: I need help to get the Tiny Pilot connected to the Openplotter.

Have the Tiny Pilot working in stand alone. Can get to the Tinypilot via Web (198.162.14.1). Processor Raspberry PI3b
The Open Plotter has two WLans one for the Headless (VMC) and one for the Web. Can get to Pypilot (192.168.14.1) Processor  Raspberry PI 4

I know, that I have to configure the rest (Pyilot settings , Signal K etc.). My Gps is on a Usb port. Just don’t Know how to do it. Some hints would be welcome (bang my head....)
Thanks
Frank

To start the easy thing is to use one of the WLAN´s of OP to connect to the Tinypilot.
Get the IP of the WLAN you have connected. (shoud be 192.168.14.1)
Open OpenCPN in OP and set the Pypilot-plugin to that IP.
Mybe later you want the Tinypilot set as an Client and connect it to the OP-Accesspoint I think it is your VMC
Greetings
Andreas

Thanks!

Got the tiny plotter going!
But I find it hard to change it to a client. Once I've changed it to client (using web interface) its lost. Cant fint it, it won't connect, can't ping it...
Any clue?

/ Ola

Hi Ola,

you will not see the Tinypilot as client. You might find the IP (in Openplotter somting like 10.10.10.xxx ) of the Tinypilot at your Accesspoint or Router were the Tinypilot is connected to. In Openplotter there is a file with "leases" somwere but I don´t now were. I will try to find it tomorrow when I´m at the boat.
Of course you only find it if you have set the correct SSID and Pasword of your AP/Router into the Tinypilot.
Ther is normaly an alias named "box" so you can try on OpenCpn (in the same AP) or Openplotter to connect the Pypilotplugin to "box" or in a Terminal to "SSH tc@box"
An pssibility is also to see the Tinypilot WIFI settings and to read/edit on an other linux enviroment the file in the folder /home/tc/.pypilot/networking.txt
Hope this helps
Save sailing
Andreas
Hi Ola
in Openplotter 1.2 you find the connected clients (IP and Alias) to the OP-AP in
the file /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases.
There schoud be listed the device of your Tinypilot ....
Greetings
Andreas
(2020-02-22, 09:53 AM)xfactor99 Wrote: Hi Ola
in Openplotter 1.2 you find the connected clients (IP and Alias) to the OP-AP in
Greetings
Andreas

Thanks!
Found it right there!
So the tinypilot now seems to act as a client and connects to AP of openplotter.
However, the Pypilot plugin does not connect to its IP (10.10.10.103)
I need to set something inside signalK?
also the ssh can not connect anymore. 

/ O
(2020-02-22, 02:16 PM)Ola_H Wrote:
Greetings
Andreas

Thanks!
Found it right there!
So the tinypilot now seems to act as a client and connects to AP of openplotter.

/ O

Sorry I don't know why it is not working.
maybe you turn off pypilot delete the line in leases and save it on OP and revonnect the TP and see what happens.
Not shure if to delete you have to de it via sudo nano ...
(2020-02-22, 04:14 PM)xfactor99 Wrote:
(2020-02-22, 02:16 PM)Ola_H Wrote:
Greetings
Andreas

Thanks!
Found it right there!

/ O

Sorry I don't know why it is not working.
maybe you turn off pypilot delete the line in leases and save it on OP and revonnect the TP and see what happens.
Not shure if to delete you have to de it via sudo nano ...

I solved it!
had to learn nmap witch is a really nice tool.
thanks for the support!

/O
(2020-02-13, 08:07 PM)holgerw Wrote: First get the „OpenCPN“ plugin for pipilot. This is an option in openplotter/opencpninstall.

Now go to OpenCPN. Options/configure plugins.

Aktivate your new Plugin.

Set your IP of pipilot inside the Plugin.

Done.

Don‘t confuse the Names. Openplotter just integrates the REAL WORKING APPs. Your Boating is inside OpenCPN.
If it ist running well - make it fullscreen and never Touch Openplotter again.

Just kidding, but the first thing: make an Backup of your Bootdrive. Easy done with SD-Copy.

Happy Boating, Holger

I tried this, but unfortunately it didn't work for me. Just to confirm, is the tiny pilot meant to be in client mode? I also have a moitessier hat installed so Im wondering if this is confusing the pi.
In the latest tinypilot image (october 2020) you can specify a fixed ip address for the client. Previous images did not have this facility yet, and you had to guess, or derive from your openplotter logging, as described by Andreas above, the dynamically assigned ip addres. See https://github.com/pypilotWorkbook/workb...-Tinypilot
(2020-02-12, 06:06 PM)xfactor99 Wrote:
(2020-02-12, 09:03 AM)Ola_H Wrote: Hi

I currently run OpenCPN/openplotter on a RPI3B+

Im planning on installing a standard pypilot solution: Raspberry pi zero + Imo + motorccontroller.

Questions: 
-Will the openplotter RPI and the Zero connect and work stable wireless?
-Can I adjust the gains of the pypilot from the interface inside the openCPN, on the RPI3B+?

Short to both: YES

Longer:
I run a RPI 3b+ with Tinypilot and an other with Openplotter 1.2 
You interconnect them via WIFI, i have the Tynipilot set as WIFI-Server/AccessPoint and the Openpotter as client. (But you can do it also the other way: TP as client and OP as AP) 
The WIFI connection is stable.
You can control the Pilot through the OpenCPN-Plugin in Openplotter or at OpenCPN from your Laptopp, you also can control the Pilot through any webbrowser calling the webapp and you can control also through and Keypad or Remotecontrol.

You have full access to calibration and gains with the OpenCPN plugin.

Sowere erlier in the forum I posted some pictures and videos of the Pypilot working on my Nicholson 44.

Greeting 
Andreas

Hi, I know I'm hitting up an old thread here but after a bit of searching the forum this seems the most applicable to what I'm trying to achieve.

I have Openmarine running on an RPi4 and one year ago I bought a tinypilot kit of Sean including the motor controller. I want to be able to use both but I'd prefer to NOT connect them over WiFi and actually hard wire them?
The aim is to be able to mainly use the OpenMarine and OpenCPN from RPi4 to control the autopilot but to maintain the ability to control it also directly from the tinypilot remote.

From what you've said using both together can work, I'd just need to know how to connect them in a hard-wired manner and configure it? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,
Matt
by ethernet? the tinypilot has no wired connection unless you use a ethernet to usb converter.

You can also use a serial port connection which may be easier and will share wind/gps via nmea0183, but wont be able to use pypilot specific processes remotely, unless you setup a serial network connection somehow.

What is the issue with wifi?