This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No AIS data
Hi all, Colin from Essex in the UK here.

I'm running Openplotter on RPi4, with a Moitessier Hat2 and have not been able to see any AIS data on my tablet.  I believe I'm receiving GPS data as my position is shown correctly on OpenCPN.
[url=https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/moitessier-hat-configuration-of-gps-215456.html][/url]

I've been through the doc's but cant figure this out Sad

How can i confirm if i am actually receiving AIS, this feels like the first place to start??

Thanks
Colin
At a risk of teaching you to suck eggs!
A couple of questions
Have you read https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
If you are around Felixstowe or Harwich you obviously will have strong ais signals.
Are you using the internal patch aerial or an external aerial?
Are you able to see the connections on the SignalK app webpage?
I don’t have a Moitessier Hat, my SignalK connection is shown as OpenPlotter SDR AIS, I also don’t know if you need to calibrate the Moitessier Hat AIS as you do with usb SDR.
Are you getting all the other data from the hat?
I use a usb SDR but haven’t been able to test it yet with my rpi4, OpenPlotter2 and the latest SDR VHF app as I live a long way from the Essex coast, that I know so well. But did have ais working last season on my rpi3b+ with a homemade dipole aerial at about 2m off the deck with a range, depending on the vessel, of up to 5 miles or so.
(2020-06-08, 10:06 PM)Johnnysails Wrote: At a risk of teaching you to suck eggs!
A couple of questions
Have you read https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
If you are around Felixstowe or Harwich you obviously will have strong ais signals.
Are you using the internal patch aerial or an external aerial?
Are you able to see the connections on the SignalK app webpage?
I don’t have a Moitessier Hat, my SignalK connection is shown as OpenPlotter SDR AIS, I also don’t know if you need to calibrate the Moitessier Hat AIS as you do with usb SDR.
Are you getting all the other data from the hat?
I use a usb SDR but haven’t been able to test it yet with my rpi4, OpenPlotter2 and the latest SDR VHF app as I live a long way from the Essex coast, that I know so well. But did have ais working last season on my rpi3b+ with a homemade dipole aerial at about 2m off the deck with a range, depending on the vessel, of up to 5 miles or so.

ok, so looking in the OpenCPN NMEA debug window, i cant see any AIS sentences, i can see other data from the Moitessier Hat such as temp & pressure and GPS

re aerial, i've got a short 300mm tail plugged in, thats all.

Currently in Southend on Sea, boat is at Wallasea a little further north Smile
Just a thought, What kind of aerial is the “pigtail” connected to?
(2020-06-09, 08:15 AM)Johnnysails Wrote: Just a thought, What kind of aerial is the “pigtail” connected to?

pigtail is 300mm with no aerial attached.  i assumed that as im 100meters from the sea that that would be sufficient.

ok - i've enabled he AIS simulator in the moitessier Hat, and i can now see the simulated boats on OpenCPN. So i'm assuming the problem is now related to the fact that i have an aerial pigtail without an aerial attached? that been the case i need to get the Pi on the boat and connected to the VHF aerial.
Don’t link directly into your vhf transmitter aerial as the transmit power could damage your rpi4 and hat.
Know the Crouch Burnham,Wallasea well. My first sailing, many years ago, was out of Paglesham. Don’t know if there’ll be much ais activity on the Crouch at the moment. As your looking out over the Thames you could could rig up a simple whip aerial or even a rubber a rubber duck type. Being so close to lots of traffic you ought to get some ais signals. Good luck be interested to know how you get on.