This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MPU9250 heading is slowly drifting
Yes you a get red dot train if you fiddle with rotation when you set the cube on each side. Eventually some of them turn green. After 30 seconds (?) the green dots turn to yellow and that means that the points have been added to to the calibration calculation. ( see https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/la...ation0.png ) after you have 6 yellow dots, one for each side of the cube the accel calibration is complete and you can then move on the next step, Alignment ( see the next section in that doc).  My compass is very stable now! Just need to figure out how to get the data in to the SK dash board.
(2020-01-28, 03:52 PM)diyc235 Wrote: Yes you a get red dot train if you fiddle with rotation when you set the cube on each side. Eventually some of them turn green. After 30 seconds (?) the green dots turn to yellow and that means that the points have been added to to the calibration calculation. ( see https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/la...ation0.png ) after you have 6 yellow dots, one for each side of the cube the accel calibration is complete and you can then move on the next step, Alignment ( see the next section in that doc).  My compass is very stable now! Just need to figure out how to get the data in to the SK dash board.

Thanks, clear.

Eager to hear back from you on your last line ... "how to get the data in to the SK dash board"

Bart
Bart, I got data into SK and I can display the Magnetic and GPS heading speed over ground  and the yaw,pitch, roll metrics. Instead of using "Autopilot" in Pypilot use "Compass only". It will emit SignalK messages and then you will be able to connect it to SK, there is a connection tab and in there you can select to connect to SK. My rig is disassembled right now as I fit it into a box, but take a look at http://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.p...207&page=2 to see how to set up  the  serial USB GPS.
(2020-01-31, 04:39 PM)diyc235 Wrote: Bart, I got data into SK and I can display the Magnetic and GPS heading speed over ground  and the yaw,pitch, roll metrics. Instead of using "Autopilot" in Pypilot use "Compass only". It will emit SignalK messages and then you will be able to connect it to SK, there is a connection tab and in there you can select to connect to SK. My rig is disassembled right now as I fit it into a box, but take a look at http://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.p...207&page=2 to see how to set up  the  serial USB GPS.

Thanks! Will look into it this weekend
Bart
Had the same issue even on 2.0.5-beta, I just clicked "install" in OP settings. Took a while; didn't do anything in the first (apt) part, but the post-install phase re-downloaded RTIMULIB and re-compiled it.

After a reboot the issue seems to be gone. Compass is still off, but it's kind of hard to calibrate on land with all the wires attached to my RPi + Moitessier HAT. Will calibrate on my boat this spring.
I've been watching the values over the last few days. They drifted a little, about 0.2 to 0.4 degrees in heel and ~0.5 degrees in pitch, but looks like it's oscillating around these values. Right now it's at heel 0.4° to port and pitch 3.1° nose up (started at 0.2 and 2.4 last time I leveled, which was just before writing the post above).

The raspberry Pi (and the sensor on the HAT) have remained static on my desk pretty much the whole time; I picked it up once, and when I put it back the values came back to what they were before I picked it up.

The variation at this point is probably less than what I'd expect to happen naturally in a boat at the dock.

I'll try leveling it again, just to see if I can get it to 0. (Actually, I just tried it while I was writing this, and it did come down to 0.)

To any other user reading this: after calibrating the accelerometer, if clicking "boat is level" doesn't quite set the values to 0, try it again after a little while.

Note: I'm not complaining here, I just want to add some more data points.