This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My yacht computer for Algol
I thought I might share my project onboard Algol. Currently a RPi 3 with OP and OpenCPN connected to a TV screen using HDMI. Quite standard, except for  the IoToB (Internet of things on board) approach for sensors and the I2C extender for the gyro,magnetometer installed a bit away.  I have also set up a converter from Seatalk (old standard) to NMEA-USB to get the Seatalk data displayed on the dashboard (documention still in progress).

Algol, being an Aluminium boat special care with respect to isolaton of the power supplies need to be taken. All of the 5V for computer systems are isolated from the 12V service power supply. 

My blog site record the progress, which cover some other computer projects like monitoring and communication. Having set up winter monitoring is a nice idea to monitor whats happen onboard during the long winter months. 

Building the yacht computer. 
Yacht server on board.
Thanks for sharing!
Your site is plenty of good ideas and info.
Very nice setup Ole. I'm using a few different guides and a lot of different hardware to build my setup, so I'm getting little pieces of information from several different setups. Yours is very good, thank you for taking the time to document.

Fair winds and following seas,
-John
s/v Uisge Beatha
Galesville, MD USA