This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problems with NMEA out to VHF radio in OP V2.
(2020-03-19, 08:10 AM)Albin Wrote:
(2020-03-18, 09:56 PM)Celestine Wrote:
(2020-03-11, 08:38 AM)Albin Wrote:
(2020-03-10, 08:04 PM)emilecantin Wrote: I assume you were using kplex in OP1?

Seems like Openplotter is moving away from kplex (and I was never 100% satisfied with it; it required a restart each time a serial device lost connection) and going all-in on SignalK.

I had a similar issue, so I added support for NMEA output over serial in SignalK last week, it landed in version 1.25 which was released this weekend.

The way it works is that in Server -> Connections, you can configure your connections to emit an event each time you receive an NMEA sentence. Then, on your VHF serial connection, you can choose which events you want to output to your radio. Besides the events you configured on your other connections, you also have the "nmea0183" and "nmea0183out" built-in events, the first is emitted on all incoming nmea0183 events, and the latter is emitted by the signalk-to-nmea0183 plugin.

This is not very well documented at the moment, I'm working on it.

I've successfully used that procedure to send AIS data to my Garmin Echomap back-up "chartplotter", and I'm planning to do that with my VHF radio as well as soon as the snow melts around here.

Thanks!

Have updated SingnalK to 1.25 and configured as you suggested.
Now NMEA data works out to VHF.
Hi,
Can’t you tell how you did to make it work?
Thanks ever so much!
Cheers,
Pär W

You can see my attached image showing the settings in SignalK and an image showing the outgoing nmea strings from the rs232 port.
Hi
I use usb0 with an usb-serial converter. The pi sees the Profilic port and I have configured just like you (apart from the port name) but no output on port. Ocpn is sending a nice 0183 stream in the udp port. 
Don’t understand this...
/pw
Hi,
In order to be able to troubleshoot this at all I have stripped my setup down do minimal. All the nmea2000 devices are disconnected. All that is left is an old Garmin GPS 76 (handy because it has a built in nmea simulator) that delivers nmea0183 sentences to OpenPlotter via a Profilic Serial to USB converter. Output is sent to a Garmin GNX20 with only the nmea0183 port connected to OpenPlotter via another Profilic converter. I use the named nmea0183 gps in this test and have disconnected all other nmea2000 devices to make sure that the only data that reach the GNX20 comes from OP and are not leaked from the can bus one way or another
Settings are as follows:

GPS
Connected to ttyUSB0 
Alias: ttyOP_gps 
Connection: SignalK 
Baudrate: 4800. 
I can see sentences flowing in to Data Browser just as expected.

GNX20 display
Connected to ttyOP_ap 
Baudrate: 4800 
Output event: nmea0183,nmea0183out 
Sentence event: nmea1data. 
No data is shown neither on the GNX20 nor in Data Browser.

I know all the hardware is working because if I keep the same physical connections but route the signals directly to OCPN (both input and output) I see data flowing in and out in the diag window of OCPN. Data is also shown on the GNX20.
What am I doing wrong here? How can I make OP send data out on a USB port?

Running on RPI3 with OP2 Serial 2.1.0, SignalK 1.26.0, SignalK-to-nmea0183 1.6.1
(2020-04-06, 09:49 PM)Celestine Wrote: Hi,
In order to be able to troubleshoot this at all I have stripped my setup down do minimal. All the nmea2000 devices are disconnected. All that is left is an old Garmin GPS 76 (handy because it has a built in nmea simulator) that delivers nmea0183 sentences to OpenPlotter via a Profilic Serial to USB converter. Output is sent to a Garmin GNX20 with only the nmea0183 port connected to OpenPlotter via another Profilic converter. I use the named nmea0183 gps in this test and have disconnected all other nmea2000 devices to make sure that the only data that reach the GNX20 comes from OP and are not leaked from the can bus one way or another
Settings are as follows:

GPS
Connected to ttyUSB0 
Alias: ttyOP_gps 
Baudrate: 4800. 
I can see sentences flowing in to Data Browser just as expected.

GNX20 display
Connected to ttyOP_ap 
Baudrate: 4800 
Output event: nmea0183,nmea0183out 
Sentence event: nmea1data. 
No data is shown neither on the GNX20 nor in Data Browser.

I know all the hardware is working because if I keep the same physical connections but route the signals directly to OCPN (both input and output) I see data flowing in and out in the diag window of OCPN. Data is also shown on the GNX20.
What am I doing wrong here? How can I make OP send data out on a USB port?

Running on RPI3 with OP2 Serial 2.1.0, SignalK 1.26.0, SignalK-to-nmea0183 1.6.1

Try adding a sentenceEvent (can be whatever name you want, but just one word) to your GPS connection in SignalK.

Then, on your GNX20 connection, use that same name as the Output Event. You should be able to see some data on your GNX20 display after that.

Don't forget to save & restart your server.
Have you read https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/la...exing.html?
(2020-04-07, 02:48 PM)e-sailing Wrote: Have you read https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/la...exing.html?

Hi,
That’s very interesting information! I will check that out as well. 
I’m sure I checked the docs pages the other week. These must be quite new?
Will get back with a report as soon as I tested all suggestions. 
Cheers
Pär W
(2020-04-07, 06:50 PM)Celestine Wrote:
(2020-04-07, 02:48 PM)e-sailing Wrote: Have you read https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/la...exing.html?

Hi,
Cheers
Pär W

Github says 12 days, so yes, quite new.
(2020-04-07, 06:50 PM)Celestine Wrote:

Hi,
Cheers
Pär W

Hi,
Followed the instructions in https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/la...exing.html?
Worked like a charm!
Thanks a lot,
Pär W
Hello,

Pls advice what can be wrong with following or how to check data flow:
I am trying to send AIS data from Openplotter SDR AIS to Chartplotter Garmin GPSmap620,
have tried both ways Signal K to Nmea0183 and NMEA0183 to NMEA0183 plugins without success.

RPi4, Signal K 1.29., Openplotter SDR AIS 2.1.0 (Works well), Garmin is connected via usb-serial ch340 (USB to RS485)

nmea0183 to nmea0183 settings in Signal K was

SDR AIS: 
Input type NMEA0183
ID Openplotter SDR AIS
NMEA0183 Source UDP
port 8080
SentenceEvent nmea1data

Garmin at usb-serial
Input type NMEA0183
ID aisout
NMEA0183 Source Serial
Serial port /dev/ttyOP_aisout
baudrate 38400
OutputEvents aisout
SentenceEvent 'empty'

Plugin NMEA0183 - NMEA0813 
Active
Input event nmea1data
Output event aisout
NMEA0183 Sentences VDM, VDO (have tried to send also all available sentences)

Also have tried for Signal K to NMEA0183 to put in USB-Serial OutputEvents nmea0183 or nmea0183out or nmea1data, 
but with success. After any correction in settings Signal K was restarted.

After all Signal K dashboard still shows no Connection Activity for aisout.
My idea is using AisReporter plugin for transmit my AI VDO (or VDM) sentencies for VHF (as AIS transponder). It is possible?
(2020-05-18, 08:33 PM)sapers Wrote: My idea is using AisReporter plugin for transmit my AI VDO (or VDM) sentencies for VHF (as AIS transponder). It is possible?

AirReporter is for "Signal K Node server plugin to report the vessel's AIS data to MarineTraffic"
But I need to route AIS data received by Openplotter SDR AIS to USB-Serial device.