This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Importing I2C data
(2020-04-18, 08:29 PM)ckon Wrote:
(2020-04-17, 07:20 PM)Sailoog Wrote: I am afraid more changes have to be done in i2c app core code to add more sensors. Besides this I need to make important changes before adding the new sensors to be able to manage extra parameters in some of them. What sensors are you thinking of?

I do not want to hijack the thread, but I am thinking of the bme680 (similar to the bme280) and the I2C Digital Wattmeter based on the TI INA219 for the 12V monitoring.

Thank you,
-C

The INA219 was in the TODO list but I did not know the BME680 and it sounds really interesting to add gas readings to press, temp and hum:

"The gas reading in the BME680 should be sensitive to a wide range of different gases, like methane and other volatile organic compounds (VOCs), carbon monoxide, ethanol, human breath and sweat, and more, so you can really have some fun creating fart detectors or even a crude breathalyser!"
(2020-04-22, 07:24 PM)Sailoog Wrote:
(2020-04-20, 09:38 AM)solosails Wrote:
(2020-04-17, 07:20 PM)Sailoog Wrote: I am afraid more changes have to be done in i2c app core code to add more sensors. Besides this I need to make important changes before adding the new sensors to be able to manage extra parameters in some of them. What sensors are you thinking of?

Hi Sailoog, Thanks for the reply.

I have just purchased a Adafruit INA260  in order to monitor the batteries voltage level. I don't need to measure amps, just the state of the batteries. 

If there is an easy way to add this in? or perhaps if you can give me a brief list of files that need to be created to add it myself - that would be great - thanks!

The plan before the apocalypse was to make the required changes in openplotter-i2c app to allow extra parameters for some sensors (INA family need them) but I have not sensors and instruments to develop this at home/prison. The situation is getting better here in Catalonia but I will not be able to go to the office without risk in 2 weeks.

So the answer is no, there is not a fast and easy way. You need python skills to modify this code to add more sensors but you should wait for my changes: https://github.com/openplotter/openplotter-i2c

sorry

Hey, no need to apologise!! Thanks anyway - happy to wait - can I send you any sensors to play with in lockdown!?
(2020-04-22, 10:13 PM)solosails Wrote: Hey, no need to apologise!! Thanks anyway - happy to wait - can I send you any sensors to play with in lockdown!?

Maybe if you are in Europe but if you send me some voltage reader I would need an adjustable DC power supply to make real tests and mine is at the office.

Another option would be blind developing, it would not be the first time Smile I could make something and you test it.

The INA219 is more spread but the INA260 is better and easier to use, what to do? both? actually the INA260 does not need extra parameters and it could be added before doing the changes.

Anyone in Europe with a BME680 ready to plug it into the Raspberry header to send me?
My BMP180 was woking (and still is) on the OP1.2 but I cant get it to work on the OP2 I2C, it is recognized as a MS5607-02BA03 but it just provides constant (always the same, does not change no matter the environment condition) (non sense) values to the feed (a negative pressure and absurd temperature)

Sailoog, write know, to have pressure/temp readings the easy way would be to buy a BME280, is that it?

ps: When I say still is, I just swap uSD cards back an forth on the very same rpi3 with no mods to the hardware connections.
Yes, we recommend BME280
new sensors added to I2C: https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=3055
(2020-11-02, 07:43 PM)Sailoog Wrote: new sensors added to I2C: https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=3055

Thank you!!
(2020-11-02, 07:43 PM)Sailoog Wrote: new sensors added to I2C: https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=3055

Observation on I2C 2.2.0: when you clear all sensors and start configuring them again - the I2C address tab gets cleared but not refreshed. So it is not possible to configure sensors without restarting the app. Maybe the "refresh" button should also refresh the I2C addresses or the add-button should re-read the addresses(or both :Smile

Thanks Sailoog, for your work on the new sensors!
I am afraid I do not understand your suggestion or something is not working on your system as it should.
"Add" and "I2C address" buttons always re-read addresses when you click on them.
Thanks for commenting, yes there must be something odd.
Its my backup rpi3+ with I2C: SHT21/HTU21 and 10DOF and GPS(USB) + 820T2 via a powered usb-hub
All sw is up2date and on latest OP. BTW FWIW this sensors were detected correctly under OP1.2

Have checked and reconnected VIN,GND,SCL and SDA  - in fact I changed to a different GND pin just to be sure.

When I configure HTU21 on 0x40 (0x40 is the address as per datasheet, I also tried 0x77 - same behavior) thereafter any I2C calls show noticeable delays and the I2C addresses are all blank. Even after rebooting!
I delete HTU21 - refresh - still addresses remain blank.

I then unplug power, wait and rebooting and see again the different addresses.
(screenpnt attached)

Any suggestions other than dump the sensors and get new ones?