This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sound when connecting liniair actuator on pypilot
(2020-03-24, 05:06 PM)jamos.tan@gmail.com Wrote: Hi,

Quick question, I am using a liniair actuator on the pypilot connected to a h-bridge with a max rating of 40A.
I've set the maximum amp to 20 (as far as the client can go) but I think that will be sufficient.
If the controller gives the high current flag, the max current is 60 amp. I tried running my regular controller at 20 amps continuously drivingand after about a minute it overheats.

Quote:When the actuator starts to rotate the electromotor within, it sounds different than running it on a "normal" autopilot controller.
It works, but it has a (how should I describe) "whistle" or "constant beep" sound when it activates.

I guess it has to do something with the gains, but no matter what gains I try or amp setting, it keeps making the sound.
When doing long passages, I'd like the motor to be quiet.
Any suggestions?

What hbridge and setup are you using? Do you know the PWM frequency? My controllers normally use a 16khz frequency below 98%, and at 100% a lower frequency which is not audible at full duty.

So, you would only hear the noise maybe when speeding up and slowing down, but it's difficult to hear for most people, but maybe your motor resonates at 16khz to make lower audible frequencies?

If you are using pwm_mode==2 I think it uses 1khz which is very annoying whine, but a lot of those controllers overheat and don't work correctly at higher frequencies. You could try it, but the default in the code is safer.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sound when connecting liniair actuator on pypilot - by seandepagnier - 2020-03-25, 12:57 AM