This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PyPilot or OpenPlotter?
I am replacing an ancient Robertson AP200DL complete with motor controller and a steering drive 12VDC motor.

My question is:

Is it one  or the other?  

PyPilot running on a TinyPilot hat or /box from Sean  
     OR 
     PyPilot running in OpenPlotter on a dedicated Raspberry Pi 4 (or 3+) setup?

Either of these can run a PyPilot motor controller, right?

Obviously, OpenPlotter has a lot more functionality, but both can do basic autopilot and steer a set heading, right?
Kip Hansen
S/V Golden Dawn
S/V Merlin
kip@i4.net

In my opinion it is BOTH
  • run Pypilot on a dedicated RPi (Zero W), so autopilot is independent from other hardware and software and can be operated with buttons, smartphone or remote
  • Run Openplotter on a separate Pi (or PC) and connect it over wifi with Pypilot. 
Best of both worlds...
(2020-04-02, 11:51 AM)mlvg Wrote: In my opinion it is BOTH
  • run Pypilot on a dedicated RPi (Zero W), so autopilot is independent from other hardware and software and can be operated with buttons, smartphone or remote
  • Run Openplotter on a separate Pi (or PC) and connect it over wifi with Pypilot. 
Best of both worlds...

Totaly agree, I have it runnig like this, maybe you find some more information here:

http://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=1734

Save sailine
Andreas
I also agree to have both for reliability reasons and it's what I use.

The software is intended to be flexible to support both configurations and you can also use the larger pi as a backup.
Thanks to all of you!

I can see that the consensus is to build both systems and use as appropriate.

TinyPilot as a backup or for long-run/low-power consumption (two or three days on the same heading...)

OpenPlotter system as the high-functionality workhorse.

So that's what I'll do.

-- Kip