This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple 3G device for remote monitoring
Hi Can anyone recommend a simple, unlocked 3G data device that I can use for remote monitoring of OP over the internet.
(Boat in Greece, me in UK)
I don't really need it for internet access internet whilst on-board but I want a low power/low running cost device that I can leave connected when away from the boat so that I can continue to monitor boat systems etc using NodeRed/MQTT
I could try marina WiFi but that is notoriously unreliable so 3G seems best for this purpose.
I have an old Vodafone data dongle but not sure how to set it up on Rasp Pi

Thanks
I have a Huawei ordered from Ali Express, all sims seem to work on it. Its cracked and branded by Bolt, my Dutch sim works on it: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/328274091...web201603_
Yes I have a couple of these dongles but they seem best suited to a PC.
Are these reasonably simple to instal on a Pi?
(2020-04-02, 11:16 AM)affinite Wrote: Yes I have a couple of these dongles but they seem best suited to a PC.
Are these reasonably simple to instal on a Pi?

I only have it usb powered, so no data connection to the pi. It broadcasts it's own WiFi AP and that's how I log in.
Depends on what you want to do with it, do you also wan't to sens sms with it? The downside if the dongle is that, although you can send sms'es with it, you have to log into the admin panel of the dongle for this. Usually, with openplotter you can send it based on an action, but I haven't done this yet.

I see that the dongle is compatible with linux, but I haven't yet set it up like this.
I guess I could give it a try.