This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bidirectional converter Setalk1-nmea183 for OP_2
Hello everybody. I wonder if among you very good technicians there is someone who has already made the bidirectional converter Seatalk1 <> nmea following what indicated by Thomas Knauf? It would be useful to me without spending a fortune! I wait offers! Huh Rolleyes Big Grin
(2020-04-12, 10:35 AM)Max1947 Wrote: Hello everybody. I wonder if among you very good technicians there is someone who has already made the bidirectional converter Seatalk1 <> nmea following what indicated by Thomas Knauf? It would be useful to me without spending a fortune! I wait offers! Huh Rolleyes Big Grin

Hi Max
have a look here, that looks like a starting point.
http://berreizeta.blogspot.com/2016/10/b...t.html?m=1
He also showes a display .... what is needed is to create nmea sentences but I think that is solved somewhere. Or maybe you can do that directly in OP ...
I was in to it but prefered to do the Pypilot first ...
Save sailing
Andreas
(2020-04-12, 11:59 AM)xfactor99 Wrote: Hi Max
have a look here, that looks like a starting point.
http://berreizeta.blogspot.com/2016/10/b...t.html?m=1
He also showes a display .... what is needed is to create nmea sentences but I think that is solved somewhere. Or maybe you can do that directly in OP ...
I was in to it but prefered to do the Pypilot first ...
Save sailing
Andreas

That's the easy bit  Smile
Converting 9 bit digital to 8 bit text isn't so straightforward. Might be a great project for someone on JLCPCB. Some code in here might be of interest to anyone giving it a go>
https://github.com/miniwinwm/YAPP/tree/m...eatalk2USB
https://github.com/miniwinwm/YAPP/tree/master/st2nmea
and >
https://blog.arribasail.com/2015/08/seat...duino.html
(2020-04-12, 10:35 AM)Max1947 Wrote: Hello everybody. I wonder if among you very good technicians there is someone who has already made the bidirectional converter Seatalk1 <> nmea following what indicated by Thomas Knauf? It would be useful to me without spending a fortune! I wait offers! Huh Rolleyes Big Grin
I've just been working on this.
I'm taking seatalk 1 from a Raymarine i60 and passing the data via NMEA0183 to my Onwa chart plotter. I was hoping to feed it into my B&G autopilot, but, presently stuck on the B&G interface.
I'm currently using an Arduino Mega as I also use it to convert the Onwa Nmea from V3 to V1.5 (compatability issues with an older B&G) and need the extra hardware ports.
The beauty of using an Arduino, is, all of the data traffic can be echoed onto the USB serial port to feed to my openplotter setup.
The interface circuit shown on the page you mention doesn't work (for me) as it inverts the ST1 signal.
I'm currently connected with a 4k7 resistor and a couple of clamping diodes and that's working fine. The RM i60 seatalk bus only runs at 5 to 6 volts.
Is there anything specific you need to know?

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk
Thanks, all interesting but, as I said, I wouldn't know where to start on the ardware side (I don't even have a soldering iron ...) and worse on the software side. I have to replace the old Raymarine converter (see photo) that has long left me. I would like to find a ready card that can replace it without spending a fortune. If someone has something ready and lets me know the cost (even in private) I thank him in advance. In these secluded times I would have at least something to think about ... Ok, thanks and happy Easter to all and always good wind!  Smile

[img][Image: 09Ijfb.jpg][/img]
(2020-04-12, 01:14 PM)jontys Wrote:
I've just been working on this.
I'm taking seatalk 1 from a Raymarine i60 and passing the data via NMEA0183 to my Onwa chart plotter. I was hoping to feed it into my B&G autopilot, but, presently stuck on the B&G interface.
I'm currently using an Arduino Mega as I also use it to convert the Onwa Nmea from V3 to V1.5 (compatability issues with an older B&G) and need the extra hardware ports.
The beauty of using an Arduino, is, all of the data traffic can be echoed onto the USB serial port to feed to my openplotter setup.
The interface circuit shown on the page you mention doesn't work (for me) as it inverts the ST1 signal.
I'm currently connected with a 4k7 resistor and a couple of clamping diodes and that's working fine. The RM i60 seatalk bus only runs at 5 to 6 volts.
Is there anything specific you need to know?

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Hi jontys.
is it possible to get your arduino code ?
Thanks
Andreas
(2020-04-12, 01:14 PM)jontys Wrote: .
I'm taking seatalk 1 from a Raymarine i60 and passing the data via NMEA0183 to my Onwa chart plotter. 
Are you converting seatalk to nmea in the arduino? 
That code would be interesting if you would care to share  Cool
(2020-04-12, 08:12 PM)PaddyB Wrote:
(2020-04-12, 01:14 PM)jontys Wrote: .
I'm taking seatalk 1 from a Raymarine i60 and passing the data via NMEA0183 to my Onwa chart plotter. 
Are you converting seatalk to nmea in the arduino? 
That code would be interesting if you would care to share  Cool

I have put details and code on: http://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=2501
I thought 'How I Did' was a better place than hijacking this thread.