This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESP8266 to SignalK using UDP?
Anyone using ESP8266/ESPEasy with OP2?
Im converting my OP1.2/MQTT system (with 5 x ESP8266 sender/receivers) to OP2 and as MQTT isnt yet implemented in OP2 I thought Id look at using generic UDP in the ESP.
Has anyone done this successfully and if so how did you set it up.
Thanks
Steve
Search "espeasy" on this forum. PaddyB did some stuff a while back, and I think there are others. Bringing UDP into OP2 is just a matter of defining a connection in SignalK.
(2020-04-13, 07:56 PM)affinite Wrote: Anyone using ESP8266/ESPEasy with OP2?
Im converting my OP1.2/MQTT system (with 5 x ESP8266 sender/receivers) to OP2 and as MQTT isnt yet implemented in OP2 I thought Id look at using generic UDP in the ESP.
Has anyone done this successfully and if so how did you set it up.
Thanks
Steve

I've had it working on an ESP32, sends UDP to signalk over wifi. Moved over to micropython , this code is early days but most of it works, might be worth a go on an ESP8266. I used thonny as an IDE, it will talk direct to an ESP32 once you have burned micropython on the ESP - plenty tutorials on the web for that. Much better way to go as mqtt just does text, udp/signalk will write numbers straight to signalk. Will also write fast straight to influxDB over udp, think I had up to 100 writes per second stable. 
https://github.com/boatybits/boatymonpy
Hi, also managed tp use esp8266/espeasy, UDP and Signalk directly, see other thread here:
http://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=844

Only need a UDP connection setup in SignalK, and correct format to send the message in EspEasy.

/Leif
Thanks
Sorry for duplicate thread.
No more posts from me on this thread