This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boot Raspberry Pi / OpenPlotter 2 From USB SSD
After a few trials and errors and a couple of hours (well, a little more . . . ), I succeed to have my RPi4 booting from a 480 GB USB solid state drive (SSD) without the need of a SD card in the dedicated slot.

I am not familiar with Linux/Raspbian and so rely entirely on instructions found on Internet.

Basically, I started with an image of Openplotter  (Basic Moitessier Hat, I tried without success with the NOOBS) on a 16GB SD card, updated and upgraded the software (it did not work with the original kernel found on the image)  by  opening the terminal

# update your RPI
sudo apt update -y
sudo apt upgrade -y
sudo rpi-update

# reboot now
sudo reboot now

changed the EEPROM to the last beta version (2020-05-15)

# install the rpi-eeprom
sudo apt install rpi-eeprom

# Edit the rpi-eeprom and replace "critical" to "beta"
# FIRMWARE_RELEASE_STATUS="beta"
sudo nano /etc/default/rpi-eeprom-update

# Update/Install the beta eeprom
sudo rpi-eeprom-update -d -f /lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/beta/pieeprom-2020-05-15.bin

# reboot now
sudo reboot now

After the reboot, I connected my USB SSD and copied the SD card to the USB SSD with the RPi SD card copier software included in Openplotter. (Note I had no success with the sudo sync -avx . . . command in terminal nor with sudo cp ).

FYI, my SSD is a Kingston UV500 SUV500MS/480G memory card in a Renkforce – TED-U31SCRA1 enclosure.

So far, the only problem I encounter is the software for the Moitessier Hat that is not compatible with the latest version of the kernel.

References: the 2 links I gave yesterday and
https://jamesachambers.com/raspberry-pi-...sh-drives/
https://krdesigns.com/articles/raspbian-...-SSD-drive

Messages In This Thread
RE: Boot Raspberry Pi / OpenPlotter 2 From USB SSD - by Sailabout - 2020-05-24, 06:23 PM