This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boot Raspberry Pi / OpenPlotter 2 From USB SSD
(2021-04-22, 09:29 AM)SkipperEarly Wrote:
(2021-04-18, 11:05 PM)aitonos Wrote: Then, your hat broke? Bricked?

Can we or can't we do ssd boot with moetessier 2? Huh
I have just ordered all the gear...

I have no problem to boot RPI4 with Moitessier 2 from ssd(USB 2)

Thanks for your confirmation.

Did you use the above method to clonethe OS to the SSD and instruct PI4 to boot from SSD?

Can you please share?

Thanks! Rolleyes
(2020-08-29, 03:48 PM)jamieFL Wrote: OK.  I finally did it and the Moitessier HAT works...and here is how.
  • sudo apt update
  • sudo apt upgrade
  • sudo rpi-update
  • reboot
  • sudo apt install rpi-eeprom
  • sudo nano /etc/default/rpi-eeprom-update
Change "critical" to "stable" and save.
  • sudo rpi-eeprom-update -d -f /lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/stable/pieeprom-2020-07-31.bin
  • reboot
  • vcgencmd bootloader_version
Quote:Jul 31 2020 14:43:39

version f8d1dc69144b10b4bd78b4b6d08658ac3005726d (release)
timestamp 1596203019
  • vcgencmd bootloader_config
Quote:
[all]
BOOT_UART=0
WAKE_ON_GPIO=1
POWER_OFF_ON_HALT=0
DHCP_TIMEOUT=45000
DHCP_REQ_TIMEOUT=4000
TFTP_FILE_TIMEOUT=30000
ENABLE_SELF_UPDATE=1
DISABLE_HDMI=0
BOOT_ORDER=0xf41
  • findmnt -n -o SOURCE /
Quote:/dev/sda2

Once the critical firmware is updated, I plan to change back because before when I tried this, the Moitessier HAT broke.

HI, trying to make the PI bootable from SSD, I followed these instructions , got the release version of the bootloader, identical to the one posted but I can't make HAT work as it is not compatible with the kernel, I get always error intalling any of the firmwares.

Any help? Please!

Confused
(2021-04-22, 09:29 AM)SkipperEarly Wrote:
(2021-04-18, 11:05 PM)aitonos Wrote: Then, your hat broke? Bricked?

Can we or can't we do ssd boot with moetessier 2? Huh
I have just ordered all the gear...

I have no problem to boot RPI4 with Moitessier 2 from ssd(USB 2)

By the way, I followed these instructions and my HAT stopped working as its driver is not compatible with this kernel. So I had to install Kernel 5.10.11 which is the last supported by Moitessier.

I posted how to do it in another thread; the key is combine rpi-update with the hash of the kernel we want to install, otherwise, it installs the latest stable firmware.

I couln'dt check yet if I can boot from SSD as I did all the work via VNC.

Smile
Please avoid any instructions containing "sudo rpi-update" because that will install the beta kernel and openplotter (or moitessier hat drivers) will never support beta kernels, only stable kernels are supported.
(2021-04-28, 12:41 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Please avoid any instructions containing "sudo rpi-update" because that will install the beta kernel and openplotter (or moitessier hat drivers) will never support beta kernels, only stable kernels are supported.

Yes, that was what happened to me and I had to install the kernel with the HASH to match the right one for the HAT.

@jamieFL , can you please chgeck and edit?

Thanks!