This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
SDR AIS available in OpenPlotter 2
(2020-08-21, 09:24 AM)W_LAY Wrote: Hi,

Launch OpenPlotter application and go to settings (options).
Then to "connexions", you can add a UDP connection (in your case, to localhost, port 10110, or else such as marinetraffic, etc if you want)

You can maybe re-install gqrx but kalibrate app or one used by SDR VHF should be enough. An easy way to install kalibrate is to write "kalibrate" on "add/remove software", then kal -c 900, and when you get the strongest channel, kal -s "Channel"

Some helps on youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQIbGFw2Cp0
or that one (better) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8CGixMl18k&t=470s

Good luck,

WL

Good afternoon W_LAY,
Thank you for Your advice.

I will be on the boat later today.

In the meantime I installed Gqrx on my Thinkpad ((Linux MX19. 2), Debian Buster-based)) and calibrated the USB-Stick with that Maschine.
I will enter the found accumulated PPM in Openplotter.
Gqrx runs on the ThinkPad without Problems and I saw the waterfall! 
Reinstallation in Openplotter on the pi 4 brought same problem as befoe.

I will keep you informed. 

Regards
Karl 
Hi Sailoog
Please help a newbie. In your instructions you say how to calibrate the SDR dongle. I did that and all went well. Then you say create a UDP port for the data, how do I do that (baby steps please). Also I am running OP 2.3.0 on a RPI 3 so when I load Qgrx it goes on and off rapidly would this be better on a RPI4? Many thanks
Richard
Hello,

I'm trying to run the SDR VHF installer. The dongle is correctly identified and I can get a PPM reading for it, but when I try to find any GSM900 channels the scanner just runs and returns nothing (same happens with all bands). Also the AIS process is dead as a good friday. I can't open the dvb-t tv tuner and GQRX radio has the play button greyed out.

Any pointers on how to proceed?

when running the PPM scanner, it returns:

Found 1 device(s):
0: Realtek, Rtl2832UDVB, SN: 0

Using device 0: Dexatek DK DVB-T Dongle (Logilink VG0002A)
Found FCI 2580 tuner
Supported gain values (1): 0.0
Sampling at 2048000 S/s.
Reporting PPM error measurement every 10 seconds...
Press ^C after a few minutes.
Reading samples in async mode...
Allocating 15 zero-copy buffers
lost at least 88 bytes
Manual for SDR-VHF app has been updated with detailed instructions for calibration and AIS settings:

https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/la...f_app.html
a small observation SDR -VHF 2.1.1 beta: when refreshing the ppm is not updated to the set value but remains shown as the last setting. No functional issue.

on another note: I like the SkyAware - fun to use and useful to check the functionality of the SDR.
Is there also a "SeaAware" app for AIS? or is it possible to set the AIS frequencies somewhere in the SkyAware app?
- just wondering, as we all live in openmarine Wink
(2020-09-23, 09:03 AM)SkipperEarly Wrote: a small observation SDR -VHF 2.1.1 beta: when refreshing the ppm is not updated to the set value but remains shown as the last setting. No functional issue.

on another note: I like the SkyAware - fun to use and useful to check the functionality of the SDR.
Is there also a "SeaAware" app for AIS? or is it possible to set the AIS frequencies somewhere in the SkyAware app?
- just wondering, as we all live in openmarine Wink

when you calibrate any device you set a value for it but this value is just a reference, nothing is written in the device or in the settings of the different tools. You may want to set a tool with different ppm value than another tool using the same device. Have I understood your observation?

I guess our SkyAware is OpenCPN Smile
@sailoog : yes
Hi,

Just want to say what a fantastic project and community this is!  I hope to be able to contribute to it in time!

I had a couple of questions that might be useful for other members as well.  Apologies if it's been asked before.

I have a cheap DVB-T/DAB/FM dongle from china:  "RTL2832U R820T2".  It comes with a tiny little ~15 cm antenna that I've been testing it with.  After a few false starts I've managed to get it configured and receive some targets, but my range is very poor. 

Any help / advice on the following would be much appreciated!
  1. Whenever I do an "Initial PPM" or "Gain Check" I always see the line "Lost at least xxx bytes".  Is this normal or an indication of a problem?
  2. When I do the channel scan, the vast majority of entries say "No valid PLL combination found... tuning to xxx failed".  I typically get less than 10 channels, and the rest will show that message.  Is this to be expected?
I attach screenshots of both 

Thanks

Attached Files Image(s)

1 and 2 are the expected behavior.

It is really surprising that you get any target with that 15cm antenna. they should be really close to your position. You need a VHF antenna.
Big Grin 
(2020-09-29, 02:30 PM)Sailoog Wrote: 1 and 2 are the expected behavior.

It is really surprising that you get any target with that 15cm antenna. they should be really close to your position. You need a VHF antenna.

OK thanks for the reply.  They targets are indeed very close - the next step is to connect it to one of my existing vhf antennas via splitter, or perhaps have a go at making a dedicated one.