This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for some advice.
First i would like to thank the people that have made this project possible!

Here is my setup so far:

Raspburry pi 3b+ 
MPU-9255
Octopus helm cable drive motor with electronic clutch.
This is the information published on their website
WWW.OCTOPUSDRIVES.COM
WWW.OCTOPUSEUROPE.COM
C ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION
C1 Connecting Drive to Autopilot
As the Type R Autopilot Drive is designed
to work with most autopilot manufacturers’
equipment, the wiring colors or connection
references will differ slightly in each case.
However, drive to autopilot connections
are fundamentally the same for all makes
of autopilot. The Type R drive has a simple
four wire connection - two wires are for
the drive motor power feed, the other two
are for the clutch (Fig C1). Refer to the
autopilot manufacturer’s instructions for
wiring information.
Note that the Type R drive requires a 12V
input for both the motor drive and the
clutch. Do not use with a 24V system.
C2 Rudder Feedback Unit
C2a Connection - non-Simrad Autopilots
i) Connect the RFB Module wires to
autopilot junction box - refer to Figs
C2 and C3 for the correct wiring
color connections for common
autopilot brands.
ii) Setup and calibrate the RFB as
described in section B6.

DRIVE CABLE AUTOPILOT
RED MOTOR +12V
BLACK MOTOR -12V (0V)
GREEN CLUTCH +12V
WHITE CLUTCH -12V (0V)

After researching motor controllers i find i am more confused.
My question is what motor controller would be best for this setup and how do i control the electric clutch?

Thanks in advance!
There is some interesting information about the NECO drive motors, which also have a clutch.

The basic is that it is necessary to drive the clutch when you are in "autopilot engaged" mode.  If you have you system set-up to engage and disenage the autopilot easily, then you use your "autopilot engaged" signal to drive a MOSFET transistor which in turn applies the necessary voltage and amperage to engage your clutch.    Another member supplied a diagram for the wiring. (I'll figure out how to post it for you).

This link might work:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dz2jenzyle5d3r...m.jpg?dl=0

(attached a copy as well)

If engaging and dis-engaging the autopilot isn't easy in your system -- you can add in a manual "Dis-engage" switch, cutting power to the clutch - - - - the autopilot will still turn the motor, but the clutch will be dis-engaged and allow hand-steering.

This is a problem with my current autopilot (an ancient Robertson) -- if an obstacle appears in the boat's path, I have to hustle over to the autopilot control and fiddle to get it turned off before I can hand-steer. I have wished for a switch above the helm to disconnect auto-steering momentarily to allow me to avoid the floating refrigerator or shipping container or whatever.

If your autopilot control is above your helm -- and has a touch-screen ON-OFF - then you can just use the ON signal to trip the MOSFET of a Solid State Relay to power on (engage) the clutch -- OFF will automatically dis-engage the clutch.

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks KipHansen for your reply!

With respect to the Mofset would this be acceptable:

https://www.amazon.ca/Xinrub-IRF520-MOSF...198&sr=8-6

I understand your suggestion of having a switch at the helm to disengage the clutch and will keep that in mind if i am not able to figure out how to automate it. I do plan on having a touch screen monitor at the helm running OpenCPN.

If you don't mind could you recommend a motor controller that will work in this situation. I want to get all my parts on order while I research how to set it all up. 

Just to clarify that I am on the right track here is my parts list:

Raspberry Pi
Motor controller
Mofset
MPU 2955
USB GPS adapter
Helm motor

If anything is missing please advise.

Thank you KipHansen!
The mosfet you listed should work but it is an obsolete part and will get warm if the clutch draws more than an amp, and by 2 amps very hot.

Be sure to put a diode across the clutch so it can discharge through the diode when turned off.
Styles21 ==>

I plan to use the PyPilot Motor Controller....https://pypilot.org/store/index.php?rt=product/product&path=72&product_id=124
Kip Hansen
S/V Golden Dawn
S/V Merlin
kip@i4.net