This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB GPS don't show position in OpenCPN
Hi, I try to make my usb dongle to work. 
[Image: VK-172-Gmouse-USB-GPS-Glonass-GPS-Module-Ublox.jpg]
First I try to add connection in Serial 2.1.0. I give alias and then I make connection to SignalK. I also make connection in Opencpn (network, localhost, 10110 or 2947, TCP). I have only data in NMEA debug window but don't see position on map.
Second I try GPSD but I have the same situation. Also when I choose serial connection in Opencpn. I see only data in NMEA debug window. 
Can somebody help me?

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks like the dongle isn't getting a fix - it doesn't know where it is. Does it have a clear view of the sky, are you inside?
(2020-04-26, 08:28 AM)PaddyB Wrote: Looks like the dongle isn't getting a fix - it doesn't know where it is. Does it have a clear view of the sky, are you inside?

Hi, thanks for response. I have Raspberry Pi 3B+ inside my home so I will try to take in on my balcony today Smile
(2020-04-26, 10:45 AM)Przemek Wrote:
(2020-04-26, 08:28 AM)PaddyB Wrote: Looks like the dongle isn't getting a fix - it doesn't know where it is. Does it have a clear view of the sky, are you inside?

Hi, thanks for response. I have Raspberry Pi 3B+ inside my home so I will try to take in on my balcony today Smile

I had the same Problems with one of these USB GPS. My Problem was solved with an longer USB Cable, more away from the Raspi and the DCDC Converter 12-5V. After the Delocating the Quality of Respone was way better. So try an longer Cable or an USB Hub. 

For the Connection i only use the Serial for the Name & SignalK Server tho get the Data.

Attached Files Image(s)

(2020-04-26, 11:38 AM)holgerw Wrote:
(2020-04-26, 10:45 AM)Przemek Wrote:

I had the same Problems with one of these USB GPS. My Problem was solved with an longer USB Cable, more away from the Raspi and the DCDC Converter 12-5V. After the Delocating the Quality of Respone was way better. So try an longer Cable or an USB Hub. 

For the Connection i only use the Serial for the Name & SignalK Server tho get the Data.
 Hi, I think You have different version. Can You tell me what connection do You have in OpenCPN?
Regards Przemek
 Hi, I think You have different version. Can You tell me what connection do You have in OpenCPN?
Regards Przemek

Hello, i use openplotter 2.0. 

In OpenCPN there is only the normal input from SignalK on TCP from localhost and port 10110.

In SignalK-Server go to Connections like my screenshot.

Use the Plugin: Package Name: @signalk/signalk-to-nmea0183
This connection outputs an NMEA Stream with all the activated NMEA01983 Messages 
(Package Name: @signalk/signalk-to-nmea0183
aktive are:
DPT - Depth
GGA - Time, position, and fix related data
GLL - Geographical position, latitude and longitude
HDG - Heading magnetic:.
HDM - Heading Magnetic
HDM - Heading Magnetic, calculated from True
RMC - GPS recommended minimum

you should see the data running in in OpenCPN connections: Show NMEA Monitor.
(2020-04-26, 08:55 PM)holgerw Wrote: For the Connection i only use the Serial for the Name & SignalK Server tho get the Data.
Regards Przemek

Hello, i use openplotter 2.0. 

In OpenCPN there is only the normal input from SignalK on TCP from localhost and port 10110.

In SignalK-Server go to Connections like my screenshot.

Use the Plugin: Package Name: @signalk/signalk-to-nmea0183
This connection outputs an NMEA Stream with all the activated NMEA01983 Messages 
aktive are:
DPT - Depth
HDM - Heading Magnetic

Hello, I install Openplotter on my ubuntu laptop and make connections like You. Now when I go to balcony GPS works. Thank You very much. 
If You have time and if You know how to setup DVB-T SDR USB Dongle to work with Openplotter please answer to my post on forum.
Link

Regards Przemek
(2020-04-26, 08:55 PM)holgerw Wrote: Use the Plugin: Package Name: @signalk/signalk-to-nmea0183
aktive are:
DPT - Depth
HDM - Heading Magnetic

are you sure you need the @signalk/signalk-to-nmea0183? Doesn't signalk echo nmea coming in out again? Mine does anyway , usb gps dongle messages connected to sigk through openplotter serial app go to port 10110 without the @signalk/signalk-to-nmea0183 app running. 
GPS may don‘t Need it, but Barometer or Yaw Data need the Plugin activated to get into OpenCPN.