This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which USB-to-Serial adapter?
Hi,
I need to buy some more usb-to-serial adapters. Does anyone know of a good one? Of course the need to be compatible with RPI3 and preferably with less than 1,5 meters of cable attached...   Smile
Cheers,
Pär W
(2020-04-29, 11:55 AM)Celestine Wrote:  preferably with less than 1,5 meters of cable attached...   Smile
Cheers,
Pär W

Helo Celestine

try these: they have only usb-port and no cable at all. the serial chip is ok.
CP2102 USB Serial Converter

Holger
(2020-04-29, 02:01 PM)holgerw Wrote:
(2020-04-29, 11:55 AM)Celestine Wrote:  preferably with less than 1,5 meters of cable attached...   Smile
Cheers,
Pär W

Helo Celestine

try these: they have only usb-port and no cable at all. the serial chip is ok.
CP2102 USB Serial Converter

Holger

Hi,
Do you use some kind of housing for these?
/pw
Hi,
Do you use some kind of housing for these?
/pw

You should integrate them together with your openplotter pi or together with your usb-hub into water and windprotected housings. For the pi it would need some cooling vents, better use an usb-hub away from the pi. in my Settings i found an external HUB is better for receicing signals (aka AIS or GPS) as the pi cases without shielding (metal to ship-ground) exhibits a lot of unwanted frequencies, the same for all of the cheap DC-DC Converters (12V to 5V). All recievers are better in an own grounding metal case with connectors to their antennas.

But try it out, mostly they work near together also well.

keep away and stay well and comfortable in these times.
Holger