This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TinyPilot First Boot
Sean ==>  How long should the first TinyPilot computer first boot take?

Powered on (using USB power supply)

Screen lights up

No futher action -- nothing on display after five minutes....

Getting a bit worried....
Kip Hansen
S/V Golden Dawn
S/V Merlin
kip@i4.net

(2020-05-06, 10:26 PM)KipHansen Wrote: Sean ==>  How long should the first TinyPilot computer first boot take?

Powered on (using USB power supply)

Screen lights up

No futher action -- nothing on display after five minutes....

Getting a bit worried....

I think TP dont support a display ... except the nokia wired to GPIO.
You should see an wifi called Tinypilot. If so ...log in to it with your PC,Phone or Tablett ( no password) and control the TP over the webap IP 192.168.14.1:8090 or opencpn (with pypilot plugin). IP 192.168.14.1.
You also can ssh into TP

save sailing
Andreas
After 15-20 seconds it should show pypilot on the nokia5110 display. After about 60 seconds it's booted. You should see if you can find wifi after a few minutes. If it shows nothing on the screen then unfortunately the nokia5110 display is probably bad or making a bad contact.

If you press down on the metal tab of the display while running and the screen works then you know this is the problem, and can be fixed by bending the metal tabs of the display more. I test all of the tinypilot I build but sometimes they shift and it's a problem again. I'm switching to a different display soon for this reason.

Sorry for the trouble.
Sean == Pretty well set-up now -- building the windshield wiper motor triller drive.

In the YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TdXImMFTZk pypilot tinypilot demonstration

One USB connection powers the TinyPilot -- but what is the second USB connected to?

Thanks,

Kip
Kip Hansen
S/V Golden Dawn
S/V Merlin
kip@i4.net

The second usb can be nmea0183 for gps, wind, routes, or if other nmea data it will only forward to port 20220 and not use it.

gps can also be binary sirf supported by gpsd. In the video wind sensors are connected. If you want gps and wind a usb hub works.
I've got a quick question. I've flashed the Tinypilot image onto a 32GB SD, when powering on the Raspberry 3B+ on a good power supply, the screen shows the yellow thunderbolt (under voltage). Also, the LEDs on the Pi (red for power / green for sd activity) are behaving other than I am used to. The red one is blinking (never does that in other images) and the green will stay off.

All other images work perfectly, and will show no under voltage. Tried flashing some other SDs but they all do the same. I know the pi, SD's and the power supply are good. Do I need to modify the image so it works with the 3B+?
does it boot up? It is known that tinypilot won't work on the new pi 4, but should work on 3 and previous.
It doesn't boot up, screen will stay on rainbow with lightning bolt and blinking power led on the pi. I've read on tinycorelinux.net that more people have this exact problem, because of older versions of tinycore. They do mention a solution, just use the newer version which has newer drivers in the boot / root partition? Or does your version already contain the drivers for a 3b+?
you have to recompile everything from source if you do that and pi core 11 isn't stable yet. I had some issues when I tried it.

I think it works on the older pi3, but maybe not the newer pi3 (or pi4 of course)
I can also just order a pi zero, and go from there. Smile