This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Pypilot on RP4 with Moitessier
Hi everyone. A small problem with Pypilot on RP4 with Moitessier. I have to start RP twice to get Pypilot to hook and see in SignalK it transmits. When first switched on, nothing. I restart and Pypilot engages and signals in SignalK. Does this happen to you too?  Huh
(2020-05-10, 11:43 AM)Max1947 Wrote: Hi everyone. A small problem with Pypilot on RP4 with Moitessier. I have to start RP twice to get Pypilot to hook and see in SignalK it transmits. When first switched on, nothing. I restart and Pypilot engages and signals in SignalK. Does this happen to you too?  Huh

Hi everyone,

I have the same problem with the latest packages - I think it has to do with some I2C problems, because the effect is that GPS/AIS on the HAT2 still works, but everything using the I2C bus stops working (pressure, temperature, PyPilot roll/pitch/mag. heading).

If I dig further into it I see the following problems on the Pi4:

[...]
[  850.578567] i2c-bcm2835 fe804000.i2c: i2c transfer timed out
[  851.618668] i2c-bcm2835 fe804000.i2c: i2c transfer timed out
[  852.658870] i2c-bcm2835 fe804000.i2c: i2c transfer timed out
[  853.698860] i2c-bcm2835 fe804000.i2c: i2c transfer timed out
[...]

and

i2cdetect -y 1

just hangs or outputs the result very very slowly.

Once finished the address 68 is missing from the output.

Hardware: Raspi Pi 4, HAT2, directly connected without any adapters/cables.

Software versions:
ii  openplotter-can                      2.1.1-stable                        all          OpenPlotter app to manage CAN BUS adapters
ii  openplotter-dashboards               2.2.0-stable                        all          OpenPltter app to manage dashboards
ii  openplotter-doc                      2.0.7-dev                           all          OpenPlotter project documentation
ii  openplotter-i2c                      2.1.1-stable                        all          OpenPlotter app to manage I2C sensors in Raspberry Pi
ii  openplotter-mcs                      2.1.6-stable                        all          This is a App for Openplotter 2.0 and higher to use with a GeDaD MarineControlServer Hardware
ii  openplotter-moitessier               2.1.2-stable                        all          OpenPlotter app to manage the Moitessier HAT
ii  openplotter-network                  2.1.4-stable                        all          OpenPlotter app to manage network connections in Raspberry Pi
ii  openplotter-opencpn-installer        2.1.0-stable                        all          OpenPlotter app to manage OpenCPN installation
ii  openplotter-pypilot                  2.0.8-beta                          all          OpenPlotter app to integrate Pypilot in Raspberry Pi
ii  openplotter-serial                   2.1.0-stable                        all          OpenPlotter app to manage serial devices
ii  openplotter-settings                 2.3.0-stable                        all          Main OpenPlotter app
ii  openplotter-signalk-installer        2.1.0-stable                        all          OpenPlotter app to manage Signal K node server installation

Strange thing is that after power-on it works for 1-2 minutes - then it stops. Soft reboot seems to help as it is running stable for about an hour now.

Best regards,
Jonas
(2020-05-27, 07:52 PM)jsextl Wrote:
(2020-05-10, 11:43 AM)Max1947 Wrote: Hi everyone. A small problem with Pypilot on RP4 with Moitessier. I have to start RP twice to get Pypilot to hook and see in SignalK it transmits. When first switched on, nothing. I restart and Pypilot engages and signals in SignalK. Does this happen to you too?  Huh

This is how it looks like once the HAT2 I2C stops working:
root@openplotter:~# i2cdetect -y 1
     0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:          -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- UU -- -- -- -- -- -- --
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- UU UU -- -- UU -- -- --
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 77

GPS/AIS is still working without problems in that moment.
This should be fixed on next update of openplotter-i2c app. thanks.
This should be fixed in openplotter-i2c 2.1.2, please update (the package is currently being built on the server and should take half an hour)
Marking this problem as solved, reopen if necessary.
Hi Sailoog,
thank you very much for the update - I installed yesterday and since then it is running stable - will monitor during the next days and give another update.
Best regards,
Jonas