This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use the RPi 4 in a closed box with no fan
Hello,
I was wondering if it would be possible to keep OP2 running on a RPi 4 inside a closed box without a fan. 
I guess that there would be some heat related throttling. But would there be any danger of destroying the system? 

Thanks!
(2020-05-10, 02:02 PM)SailorMacSailface Wrote: Hello,
I was wondering if it would be possible to keep OP2 running on a RPi 4 inside a closed box without a fan. 
I guess that there would be some heat related throttling. But would there be any danger of destroying the system? 

Thanks!

I'm running a 3B+ inside a tiny waterproof box, 3A power supply and all. It seems happy.  I suggest close it up inside a box and see what happens -- you can insert a temperature probe if you're curious.
no it wont be happy I had my rpi3 shut down a few time last year because of heat. Rpi4 runs hotter and will throttle down. I used a 12v fan and a mosfet to control the fan it comes on at 65 and turns off at 55. if you want i will send you my freecad rpi4 case design.
(2020-06-05, 06:32 PM)ddelorme Wrote: no it wont be happy I had my rpi3 shut down a few time last year because of heat. Rpi4 runs hotter and will throttle down. I used a 12v fan and a mosfet to control the fan it comes on at 65 and turns off at 55. if you want i will send you my freecad rpi4 case design.

picture please! - and thanks for making your design available for downloading.
(2020-06-06, 06:32 AM)SkipperEarly Wrote:
(2020-06-05, 06:32 PM)ddelorme Wrote: no it wont be happy I had my rpi3 shut down a few time last year because of heat. Rpi4 runs hotter and will throttle down. I used a 12v fan and a mosfet to control the fan it comes on at 65 and turns off at 55. if you want i will send you my freecad rpi4 case design.

picture please! - and thanks for making your design available for downloading.

It is simple. Take an alumium case with a pilar connection to the processor. Then the whole case is acting as as cooling plate.

There is the Flirc case or the Argon40. Both have a plastic lid so that Wifi is still possible.

Bram
Why use a so called "water proof" enclosure ?
Is it to avoid intrusion of salt water ?

My "pi" lays over the chart table at the nav. station, and if sea water get there, the future of this computer would be the least of my concerns !

I would rather recommend an excellent aluminum case such as the Argon40 one, which is perfect for its passive heat extraction, keeping the fan quiet below a CPU core temperature of 55°C. And so far, in an ambient temperature below 25°C , this threshold has not even be reached (Pi 4B with 4 GB ram).

PS nautical definition of water-proof : A device specially designed to prevent that water who made its way in, might get out !  (usually cured drilling a little hole at the lowest point) Smile
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

Skipper,

I'd be interested in what you mean "pilar connection".

jamie
(2020-06-06, 06:24 PM)jamieFL Wrote: Skipper,

I'd be interested in what you mean "pilar connection".

jamie

"Pilar" refers to a little column of the same material than the case (e.g. aluminum)  which is in contact with the chip to be cooled, via a thermal conductive paste.
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

Interesting thread! - here just some other points:
- Argon40:
- can I still use the Moitessier hat? - and how does the magnetic cover impact sensor behavior?
- it says expose the gpio's but picture is unclear - how practical is it to use the gpios and are all of them avail.

- this waterproofing discussion comes up ever so often and I agree with above. Its not about protecting the raspi from submersion but the maritime environment is harsh to electronics and reduces its normal life span. So some form of protection is essential even if replacement hw is rather affordable.
Are you protecting your raspi with some sort of corrosion spray (- there are many but what are the preferences?) or has anyone even tried to just epoxy everything into a case - obviously with exposed heat sinks and/or alu bottom.
Photo 
(2020-06-07, 07:33 AM)SkipperEarly Wrote: Interesting thread! - here just some other points:
- Argon40:
   - can I still use the Moitessier hat? - and how does the magnetic cover impact sensor behavior?
   - it says expose the gpio's but picture is unclear - how practical is it to use the gpios and are all of them avail.

- this waterproofing discussion comes up ever so often and I agree with above. Its not about protecting the raspi from submersion but the maritime environment is harsh to electronics and reduces its normal life span. So some form of protection is essential even if replacement hw is rather affordable.
Are you protecting your raspi with some sort of corrosion spray (- there are many but what are the preferences?) or has anyone even tried to just epoxy everything into a case - obviously with exposed heat sinks and/or alu bottom.

Moitessier hat : nope, forget the idea !
GPIO Access : see attached picture ; the lid uses strong magnets fixed in the case itself to be (firmly) kept in place, prohibiting compass vicinity ...
So far I use no anti corrosive protection at all, still waiting to see what will happen ...
Obsolescence seems faster than corrosion : Pi2, pi3B, Pi 4-2 or 4 GB, new pi4-8 GB, etc. !

Attached Files Image(s)

Cordialement
Didier B