This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpenPlotter - PyPilot - TinyPilot
you just need to click the enable hardware uart button in openplotter serial settings and reboot.
(2020-05-19, 12:23 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: you just need to click the enable hardware uart button in openplotter serial settings and reboot.

Thanks - found the button and yes that's a lot simpler but it still doesn't seem to work for me. So:
  • Pressed UART button to disable bluetooth etc
  • Rebooted RPi-4
  • Voltage divider which now supplies 3.3v from Arduino TX to PI-10 (GPIO15)
  • Direct connection between PI-8 (GPIO-14) and Arduino RX (so that's still 5v)
  • Installed Arduino IDE on RPI, it sees the /dev/ttyACM0 Serial Port now but when trying to upload any sketch: I get 10 errors:
avrdude: stk500)getsync() attempt x of 10: into in sync: resp=0x34

I really am not sure what I'm doing wrong....

Does that matter that ttyACM0 shows up as a device in the OpenPlotter serial list? I guess not as when I delete it the Arduino IDE can't find the port anymore.

Thanks again for your help.
To upload it is /dev/ttyAMA0 not /dev/tyACM0. You must press the reset button or repower the arduino exactly when you run the avrdude command to upload.
(2020-05-12, 11:11 PM)rastam4n Wrote:
(2020-05-12, 09:53 PM)DoubleDutch Wrote: Some very basic questions:
  • I have an RPI-4 with OpenPlotter
  • I have attached an MPU9255, the PyPilot recognizes it and and I can calibrate my setup
The questions are about TinyPilot:

1. In the above setup - do I still need TP?
  2. If so - does TP need to run on a separate RPI or can it run on the same RPI running OpenPlotter (or is that just a bad idea)
  3. If it's OK to run TP on the Open Plotter RPi: is TP installed as part of OpenPlotter and if so.... where is it..... and how do I start it?
  4. I found various diagrams for running TP on a RP-1-W but if it can all run on one RPi are there wiring diagram of how to connect an OpenPlotter RPI to a motor controller / which pins should be used?
Thanks in advance.

1. No, Pypilot does the same thing as tinypilot, all you need is a motor contoller now and you are set.
2. see above but yes if you choose to run tinypilot it does run on a independent RPi and is connected via wifi to openplotter
3. TP is more then just a program it is an operating system. It is designed to do one thing, steer your boat.
4. as follows if you use Seans motor controller.
Brown - 3.3v (pin 1)
White - TX (pin 8)
Blue - RX (pin 10)
Black - GND (pin 6 or 9)
I use PICAN-M, and it uses 8 ir 10 pins, is it possible change RPI pin or better for me in this situation use TinyPilot? probably i couldn't use the pin 8 and 10 for PICAN and Pypilot?
there are other serial ports on the pi 4 and pi zero 2, but the other raspberry pi you would want to use pin 8 and 10. Its possible to use USB as well but I prefer hardware serial.
(2023-02-19, 09:11 PM)badutis Wrote:
(2020-05-12, 11:11 PM)rastam4n Wrote:
(2020-05-12, 09:53 PM)DoubleDutch Wrote: Some very basic questions:
  • I have an RPI-4 with OpenPlotter
  • I have attached an MPU9255, the PyPilot recognizes it and and I can calibrate my setup
The questions are about TinyPilot:

1. In the above setup - do I still need TP?
  2. If so - does TP need to run on a separate RPI or can it run on the same RPI running OpenPlotter (or is that just a bad idea)
  3. If it's OK to run TP on the Open Plotter RPi: is TP installed as part of OpenPlotter and if so.... where is it..... and how do I start it?
  4. I found various diagrams for running TP on a RP-1-W but if it can all run on one RPi are there wiring diagram of how to connect an OpenPlotter RPI to a motor controller / which pins should be used?
Thanks in advance.

1. No, Pypilot does the same thing as tinypilot, all you need is a motor contoller now and you are set.
2. see above but yes if you choose to run tinypilot it does run on a independent RPi and is connected via wifi to openplotter
3. TP is more then just a program it is an operating system. It is designed to do one thing, steer your boat.
4. as follows if you use Seans motor controller.
Brown - 3.3v (pin 1)
White - TX (pin 8)
Blue - RX (pin 10)
Black - GND (pin 6 or 9)
I use PICAN-M, and it uses 8 ir 10 pins, is it possible change RPI pin or better for me in this situation use TinyPilot? probably i couldn't use the pin 8 and 10 for PICAN and Pypilot?

I havce just received the High Power controller from Sean but colors or wires are differnet. Ayway, If I understand correcly I must CROSS TX and RX on the controller and the Pi Zero?. In the schematics of the controller pin labeled RX goes to the IN pin of the cpc5001, so I supose must be connected to the TX of the pi. Is it correct?
What you said should be correct. I have put resistors so that if you were to wire it wrong there should not be any damage. I supply my motor controller and hats already wired so this would only apply if you were wiring a motor controller directly without the pypilot hat.