This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpenPlotter - PyPilot - TinyPilot
Some very basic questions:
  • I have an RPI-4 with OpenPlotter
  • I have attached an MPU9255, the PyPilot recognizes it and and I can calibrate my setup
The questions are about TinyPilot:

1. In the above setup - do I still need TP?
  2. If so - does TP need to run on a separate RPI or can it run on the same RPI running OpenPlotter (or is that just a bad idea)
  3. If it's OK to run TP on the Open Plotter RPi: is TP installed as part of OpenPlotter and if so.... where is it..... and how do I start it?
  4. I found various diagrams for running TP on a RP-1-W but if it can all run on one RPi are there wiring diagram of how to connect an OpenPlotter RPI to a motor controller / which pins should be used?
Thanks in advance.
(2020-05-12, 09:53 PM)DoubleDutch Wrote: Some very basic questions:
  • I have attached an MPU9255, the PyPilot recognizes it and and I can calibrate my setup

2. If so - does TP need to run on a separate RPI or can it run on the same RPI running OpenPlotter (or is that just a bad idea)
  3. If it's OK to run TP on the Open Plotter RPi: is TP installed as part of OpenPlotter and if so.... where is it..... and how do I start it?
  4. I found various diagrams for running TP on a RP-1-W but if it can all run on one RPi are there wiring diagram of how to connect an OpenPlotter RPI to a motor controller / which pins should be used?
Thanks in advance.

1. No, Pypilot does the same thing as tinypilot, all you need is a motor contoller now and you are set.
2. see above but yes if you choose to run tinypilot it does run on a independent RPi and is connected via wifi to openplotter
3. TP is more then just a program it is an operating system. It is designed to do one thing, steer your boat.
4. as follows if you use Seans motor controller.
Brown - 3.3v (pin 1)
White - TX (pin 8)
Blue - RX (pin 10)
Black - GND (pin 6 or 9)
(2020-05-12, 11:11 PM)rastam4n Wrote:

Thanks in advance.

1. No, Pypilot does the same thing as tinypilot, all you need is a motor contoller now and you are set.
2. see above but yes if you choose to run tinypilot it does run on a independent RPi and is connected via wifi to openplotter
3. TP is more then just a program it is an operating system. It is designed to do one thing, steer your boat.
Brown - 3.3v (pin 1)
White - TX (pin 8)
Blue - RX (pin 10)
Black - GND (pin 6 or 9)

Perfect! Thank you!

Is there an advantage in using TinyPilot instead of the combined TP/PP setup I suggest above?
(2020-05-13, 01:09 PM)DoubleDutch Wrote:
(2020-05-12, 11:11 PM)rastam4n Wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Brown - 3.3v (pin 1)
White - TX (pin 8)
Blue - RX (pin 10)
Black - GND (pin 6 or 9)

Perfect! Thank you!

Is there an advantage in using TinyPilot instead of the combined TP/PP setup I suggest above?

well if you are running TP/PP then you are already running TP so no...
pypilot can run under tinypilot or openplotter, or many other linux distro but those two are supported.

So the advantage to tinypilot is the raspberry basically only is used to run the autopilot. If the graphics driver in opencpn crashes and openplotter crashes you the separate tinypilot will continue to hold course. There were a few complaints that tinypilot had a better reaction time than openplotter, but I think this is only if the permissions are wrong.

the pi zero uses a lot less power than a pi4. So if you want autopilot with minimal power without charts it could matter.
(2020-05-14, 12:51 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: pypilot can run under tinypilot or openplotter, or many other linux distro but those two are supported.

So the advantage to tinypilot is the raspberry basically only is used to run the autopilot.   If the graphics driver in opencpn crashes and openplotter crashes you the separate tinypilot will continue to hold course.   There were a few complaints that tinypilot had a better reaction time than openplotter, but I think this is only if the permissions are wrong.

the pi zero uses a lot less power than a pi4.    So if you want autopilot with minimal power without charts it could matter.

That makes perfect sense. "Dry testing" PyPilot at the moment but if I ever move it to a boat: I'll make sure it's on it's own RPI
I have uploaded Sean's MotorController Arduino Sketch to an Arduino Uno. I then connected:

Arduino <-> RPi (4)
TX        - 10 (RX)
RX        - 8 (TX)
GND     - GND
5V        - 5V

The LED on Pin 13 of the Arduino blinks so I assume the sketch is running OK but in OpenPlotter / PyPilot I get "no motor controller!" and when I enable the AP in PyPilot - the LED does not come on static (which I believe should happen when the AP engages)

I don't have a CPC5001 optical isolator so they are connected directly.

Also: I have not configured a "Autopilot serial device" as that only lists USB devices and I am using the GPIO pins.

What could be wrong?
the arduino is using 5 volts and the pi 3.3v? You cannot connect tx from arduino to rx of pi without resistors.

The led blinking does not seem like the sketch works. Normally the led is not on at all unless the motor is engaged which won't happen until after connected and a command received.

Make sure you can upload to the arduino using the pi's /dev/ttyAMA0 not a usb and you will know the port is working correctly.
(2020-05-17, 08:13 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: the arduino is using 5 volts and the pi 3.3v?    You cannot connect tx from arduino to rx of pi without resistors.

The led blinking does not seem like the sketch works.   Normally the led is not on at all unless the motor is engaged which won't happen until after connected and a command received.

Make sure you can upload to the arduino using the pi's /dev/ttyAMA0 not a usb and you will know the port is working correctly.

Ah OK - I'll try that. Thanks! There was a BLINK "undefined" in the code which I enabled so that's why I thought the code was working.

Not sure I understand your last line "Make sure you can upload to the arduino using the pi's /dev/ttyAMA0" though
(2020-05-18, 10:17 AM)DoubleDutch Wrote:
(2020-05-17, 08:13 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: "Make sure you can upload to the arduino using the pi's /dev/ttyAMA0 not a usb and you will know the port is working correctly."

Having investigated the /dev/ttyAMA0 suggestion that seems like really hard work on the RP4 as /dev/ttyAMA0 seems to be reserved for Bluetooth. See this:

https://spellfoundry.com/2016/05/29/conf...ng-pi-3-4/

If I read that correctly, you will never experience that issue on a RPI-0 so it's just me suffering if your code looks for ttyAMA0. The RPI-0-W's are out of stock at the moment so I'll just have to wait a bit unless you can suggest another way of doing this.