This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpenPlotter/PyPilot - Only Compas not working
I've read this post many times and I can't get the Only Compas mode to work.

I followed the steps at the end, listed below. The correct connection seems to be created in SignalK and OpenPlotter on port 20220. I have a MPU9255 connected to my RPi and I can see in the Data Browser in SK that the navigation attitude roll and pitch are correct but Yaw = null (exactly as on the post above) and headingMagnetic is correct as well.

When in the PyPilot plugin I select Only Compas the Control and Browser Control are "greyed out" and can not be selected. In the Autopilot option - these items can be selected.

Been trying everything I can think of all night but I can't figure it out. Any thoughts anyone?

---- Steps Followed:

- Remove all your connections in Signal k

- In pypilot app select "only compas" (select "autopilot" only if you have connected a pypilot controller)
- In pypilot app go to connections tab, select the data item and click on Add Connection.
- If you want NMEA 0183 data in opencpn use the SK plugin to convert and be sure an input for TCP localhost 10110 exist in opencpn conections.
- If you want to add a GPS or any serial device use the serial app the same way.
Which openplotter version?

What happens if you click the client or scope or calibration? Can you see heading anywhere there? Can you add a tcp nmea0183 connection to localhost on 20220 and get compass heading nmea?

I suspect the signalk translation service is not running. The next version of pypilot automatically probes signalk and connects relaying data automatically.
(2020-05-14, 12:59 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: Which openplotter version?

What happens if you click the client or scope or calibration?   Can you see heading anywhere there?   Can you add a tcp nmea0183 connection to localhost on 20220 and get compass heading nmea?

I suspect the signalk translation service is not running.   The next version of pypilot automatically probes signalk and connects relaying data automatically.

Thanks - in answer to your questions:
  • Version OpenPlotter: this is embarrassing but I actually don't know where to find that! Looking at the Settings Setup function, I can see that the Settings App = 2.3.0., OpenCPN = 2.1.0 and Pypilot=2.0.8-beta but not sure what the version of OP is
  • "Heading" - Yes they are there and working according to my MPU9255 sensor connected to my RPi. I have not figured out how to calibrate yet but the heading, roll, pitch change with reasonable accuracy. 
  • "20220": Already there (in OpenCPN)
  • I added: True HDG; True Compass and Mag HDG to one of the OpenCPN Dashboards and they all show accurate v values
ALSO: Just to be sure - I do NOT have a motor controller connected at the moment - just in case that is a requirement.
I do not understand your problem. All is working as expected, am I missing anything?
(2020-05-14, 11:02 AM)Sailoog Wrote: I do not understand your problem. All is working as expected, am I missing anything?

Sorry - I must be unclear in describing it. Maybe it's my misunderstanding of how things should work - looking at the image below, with Only Compass Selected, I thought I should be able to open the "Control" button to set a compass course. I can't. Is that not how it should work?

control is autopilot control.

So compass only it has no purpose. Compass only has only the inertial sensors and no motor controller or autopilot function. You can still open calibration in compass (or should be able) to adjust compass offset etc.
(2020-05-15, 02:00 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: control is autopilot control.

So compass only it has no purpose.    Compass only has only the inertial sensors and no motor controller or autopilot function.  You can still open calibration in compass (or should be able) to adjust compass offset etc.

Ahhh Sorry. In which case: it all seems to work! Thanks!