This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confused over SK Connections
Signal K was (until last week) not sending NMEA messages over TCP unless it was using the build in TCP server.
If you had Signal K connect as client to another server (like in your setup) it did not forward at all.

I spend several evening not understanding the issue as well, until I looked into the code of Signal K and saw it was now available.
Anyway, this feature is now available in the build and will be included in the next release.

With the help of the   nmea to nmea plugin or the signalK to nmea plugin you can than send data to any TCP server. (without need for nodered etc)
(2020-06-14, 10:38 PM)marcel Wrote: Signal K was (until last week) not sending NMEA messages over TCP unless it was using the build in TCP server.
If you had Signal K connect as client to another server (like in your setup) it did not forward at all.

I spend several evening not understanding the issue as well, until I looked into the code of Signal K and saw it was now available.
Anyway, this feature is now available in the build and will be included in the next release.

With the help of the   nmea to nmea plugin or the signalK to nmea plugin you can than send data to any TCP server. (without need for nodered etc)

?
(2020-06-14, 10:38 PM)marcel Wrote: Signal K was (until last week) not sending NMEA messages over TCP unless it was using the build in TCP server.

Seems Ok here, signalk input connection set as tcp client on port 12123 and node-red sending '$WIMWV,360,T,10.0,N,A*0f' as a ( I think) server, output node set to tcp out 'listen on port 12123. 
SigK converts nmea to environment.wind.speedTrue & environment.wind.angleTrueWater and forwards the nmea to port 10110.
As you allready found out in the beginning of your Struggle, you got an BUSY Errormessage in your Connecton-Logs:

The tcp server in SK is for only ONE to ONE Connection. So leave this 10100 port to communicate SK to OpenCPN only!

If you want to get your Laptop receive the SK NMEA Strings, make an udp Server in SK (plugin) or an udp-Output-Port in OpenCPN to connect your Laptop/OpenCPN to this udp-Port. UDP Connections can be read by many Devices in the SAME Network, so your Tablet can also connect to this udp-Port. These Multi-Connetions are only possible with udp, as tcp is point to point, with them you have to create an server with unique port for new every client.

Happy networking - Holger
(2020-06-15, 05:08 PM)holgerw Wrote: The tcp server in SK is for only ONE to ONE Connection. So leave this 10100 port to communicate SK to OpenCPN only!

If you want to get your Laptop receive the SK NMEA Strings, make an udp Server in SK (plugin) or an udp-Output-Port in OpenCPN to connect your Laptop/OpenCPN to this udp-Port. UDP Connections can be read by many Devices in the SAME Network, so your Tablet can also connect to this udp-Port. These Multi-Connetions are only possible with udp, as tcp is point to point, with them you have to create an server with unique port for new every client.

SIgnalk tcp server will talk to many clients , just tried 6 clients in node-red, plus opencpn on a laptop and tablet, all receiving nmea over tcp port 10110. 

[Image: LPleQwm.png]
Hey Paddy

Maybe behause its the same host? Shared npm ? But it is fine to know.

Plus i see the Screenshot s are Working again in new Server!
(2020-06-15, 06:34 PM)holgerw Wrote: Maybe behause its the same host? Shared npm ? But it is fine to know.

Plus i see the Screenshot s are Working again in new Server!

Seems fine on mobile phone network as well, sharing web access from a mobile phone. 
What seemed to be happening earlier in the thread was a sigK  tcp client (not server) connection would only accept data if the server was on the 10.10.10.1 network. 

[Image: sqBpxop.png]

Screen shots from Imgur.
Yes Paddy, that is an routing Problem. Keep on.