This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimal weather sensor - simplified wiring diagram needed
Hi, everyone.

I've bought from Sean's store a Tiny Pilot, MCU, and minimal weather sensors, and they are doing just fine on my boat now. They have a strong recommendation from me, if you don't want to struggle too much with building your own.

There's this new project, tho, and it's going to take "rolling my own" this time, but I need a pile of help:

I've got a good sailing buddy whose old mast top NX wireless wind sensor has died. Parts are not obtainable. (Garmin bought them out 10 years ago, and don't support the original gear). The wind sensors seem fine mechanically, but the mast top wireless card has corroded and seems unrepairable.

I'd like to try hard-wiring these sensors via four conductor phone line run down his mast to an Arduino Nano to achieve what Sean's unit does (but for wind direction and speed only), to get the NMEA 0183 serial output. I'm thinking it will be possible to feed that into his cockpit indicator. It's the old Nexus NX device and looks like it will work on an NMEA 0183 bus for wind and boat speed sensors.

I have a NANO lying around, but need help with wiring the four wires coming from the NX sensors. I've looked up the wiring in the Davis wind sensor, and I think I can parse out which of the four wires is which on his.  But I do not know the circuitry needed to tie into the Arduino. Since this is wind only, I don't plan to incorporate an atmospheric pressure or temp sensor. I want to keep it simple and small. From reading, I have figured out this much: that the wind speed needs to "talk" to a D digital input, and the wind direction needs an A analogue pin. But beyond that my face goes slack.

I'm terrible at understanding, let alone writing code for arduino, so I was hoping to closely emulate the wind circuit wiring in Sean's simple weather sensor, and then adapt the .ino sketch from Github. I've studied Sean's weather sensor, but without taking it apart I can't see what D or A pins are being used for wind.

And I don't exactly know yet what will be needed to get the USB output from the nano serving data to his cockpit indicator. I'm guessing it might take building an RPi-Zero to plug the nano's usb into, and then adding a CH340 to the Zero's usb bus to output the NMEA sentences to the indicator head. But that's down the road from here.

That's everything so far.  My buddy and I'd be very grateful for help and guidance getting him a working wind box. All voices welcomed on this one! Thanks again!
It may not be possible because different sensors use different protocols. Some use voltage, some current, some frequency, pwm etc...

If you can incorporate the mlx90316 into your existing sensors you can wire this directly to the arduino. I am using it for a year now with 3d printed sensors which work with my weather sensors. I am using all ceramic ball bearings so the friction is lower than davis making it possible to steer to wind when the sails are filling and collapsing from light air.