This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Recommend a NMEA0183 to WiFi bridge for Tinypilot
Hi,

I want to provide wind and GPS (route) data to my Tinypilot.
The data is available on the boat's NMEA0183 wired bus, but I need a recommendation for a NMEA0183 to WiFi bridge.
I've considered Nmea2Wifi, Yakker, YDWN-02 among others however I'd like to hear recommendations for a known working solution.

Anyone?

Otto
You might consider a HLK-RM04 (see https://www.prometec.net/wp-content/uplo...manual.pdf)
You can also use a usb to serial adaptor and connect the nmea stream directly to pypilot.
(2020-05-27, 01:43 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: You can also use a usb to serial adaptor and connect the nmea stream directly to pypilot.

Yes, that is certainly an option though I'd prefer wifi in order to keep down the amount of cabling.

What are the exact requirements for Tinypilot in this regard?
I understand I need to set it in WiFi client mode, and then tell it which IP and Port to read the data from. Is there anything else?
I see some briges can only send data via UDP, can Tinypilot read that?
By default nmea input is on port 20220 tcp. You can also set a nmea client with host and port which is a tcp client. udp is not supported right now.
(2020-06-01, 08:48 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: By default nmea input is on port 20220 tcp.   You can also set a nmea client with host and port which is a tcp client.   udp is not supported right now.

I see. Thanks for confirming.
(2020-06-03, 11:21 AM)ottow Wrote:
(2020-06-01, 08:48 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: By default nmea input is on port 20220 tcp.   You can also set a nmea client with host and port which is a tcp client.   udp is not supported right now.

I see. Thanks for confirming.

A follow-up on this; I've bought and installed a NMEA4WIFI bridge, and am now trying to get Tinypilot to read the NMEA stream which I've confirmed is available on the assigned TCP port.
NMEA4WIFI (and many other NMEA bridges) can't initiate the connection to a client IP, they depend on the client connecting and reading the data stream on the assigned TCP port at the bridge.
How can I get Tinypilot to do this?

Hi,
Sorry for the slight off-topic.

But what about using an ESP32/8632 with a CAN/RS485 adapter, just reading the serial and streaming to the port 20220tcp? Working as AP or conecting to the current wifi onboard 

Sorry for the stupid thought, I am just learning about autopilot.

Regards
you can set a tcp client address and port for nmea in the pypilot.conf or on the web interface. This is only in the latest version.
(2020-07-24, 12:59 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: you can set a tcp client address and port for nmea in the pypilot.conf or on the web interface.  This is only in the latest version.

Can you please describe this in a bit more detail, or point me to the relevant documentation?

I am running the latest tinypilot image (tinypilot_21122019.img.xz) and I see no option in the web UI nor in pypilot.conf to set this.