This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problems with intermittent bad GPS data
(2020-05-23, 05:13 PM)Sailoog Wrote: My bet was for a device malfunction but now it seems an OpenCPN beta issue.

My money would be still on device malfunction - the issue not appearing after a new beta does not mean that there were a bug, if it is an intermittent problem with the gps.

If you really want to troubleshoot something like this you need to look at the data moving in the system, from where it is coming from to where the error appears, to try to reproduce the issue,
Yep, two days running clean at this point. I was pretty confident the GPS was okay, as I had collected quite a bit of data from it and didn't see any problems.
there is setting in most gps hardward to filter positions ie crazy speeds as well as to stabilizing position when you are not moving.
That would be very interesting to check into.
I've also had this issue, and reported here before. Haven't watched it much lately, but it seemed to happen randomly, sometimes I'd go a few days without it happening, and some times I'd get it several times in an hour. Happened with both OP1 and OP2, on the Moitessier HAT AND a USB GPS, on different Raspberry Pis, across multiple re-installations on different SD card.

Edit: See the thread here: http://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=2294
Thanks. I was thinking it had to do with me using OpenCPN Beta. It does only seem to happen with the data is being derived from SignalK - if I connect the GPS usb port directly to an OpenCPN connection, I don't have the problem.