This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[solved]Convert SK to nmea0183 and send to USB port?
Hi
Finally my new setup is mounted and connected in the boat. I have position data coming from n2k gps throw Actisense NGT-1. Ocpn gets pos and other data from n2k bus. Ocpn also sends route data which is sent out to the usb serial port. All that works fine!
But how do I convert SK pos data to nmea0183 and send that out to the usb serial port?
SK-to-nmea0183 Plug in is enabled and GGA, GLL and RMC is activated. Still nothing. 
Anyone?
Cheers
Pär W
(2020-06-02, 07:02 PM)Celestine Wrote:  Still nothing. 

Cheers
Pär W

Hey, this should be easy, just add an new connection in SK-Server. 

set it to input signalk
set an ID (set it as you like)
choose you usb-serial device (better name it before in op-serial: nmea183)
baudrate 4800 or better higher as you will send all signalK deltas (or is there an filter?)
for the other two parameters i am not shure, but you get the way...

and report us back.

if this will not work for you, another way would exist in openplotter with kplex...

happy boating
holger
Hi,
So you mean I should create a new SK connection, set data type to SK and point it to my existing usb serial port?
The one where I already send out route data from ocpn?
My wish is to have a single serial port where position is sent directly from gps via SK when no route is active. This is used by the vhf and also to the radar. When there is an active route I want the route related sentences to be sent in addition to this same port. 
It would be really nice with a flow chart that describes the data flow within OP/SK
I'll try your suggestion and get back.
Cheers,
Pär W
for an serial port you can only set ONE connection! 

so if you want only to output something you need an dedicated usb-adapter to do this. 

as the are cheap these days hopefully it will be no problem to use only the transmit-line of this. 
As i understand your intension, you need to resend the GPS Position to your VHF. 
Set the baudrate to what your VHF wants (often 31.200, can´t remember exactly now, but this is in your VHF documentation). 

the input port of this usb-serial is not avalilable for other connections! So it is better to name this device in op-serial
as "serialNMEA-output-VHF" to make no mistakes with other devices.
Hmm, that's bad news. 
The cost of usb adapters is not an issue. It will just not work to use double adapters for this as some of the recievers (the nav repeater for example) need position, speed and heading and also bearing and distance to waypoint when a route is active. I need to use a single usb serial adapter for this.
It could be a possibility to also send eg. RMC and GLL from ocpn. Don't know how to filter it on ocpn input to avoid a loop, though. If I filter on ocpn input connection there will be nothing to send out anyway!
KI Hi
I finally managed to solve this. The solution was to use Sk-to-nmea0183 plugin. The plugin emits events named nmea0183out. By using this string as output event on the serial connection the activated sentences are sent to the serial port. You can use multiple string as output event and thereby send data from different sources on the same port. Just what I needed!
Read more here: https://github.com/SignalK/signalk-to-nm.../README.md
Cheers
Pär W
(2020-06-03, 08:40 PM)Celestine Wrote: KI Hi
I finally managed to solve this. The solution was to use Sk-to-nmea0183 plugin. The plugin emits events named nmea0183out. By using this string as output event on the serial connection the activated sentences are sent to the serial port. You can use multiple string as output event and thereby send data from different sources on the same port. Just what I needed!
Read more here: https://github.com/SignalK/signalk-to-nm.../README.md
Cheers
Pär W

Fine, just as i told you. Keep on.
Holger
Hi
You suggested a solution with two separate serial ports. That’s not what I do now.
I found it is possible to run multiple streams to one single serial adapter using different output events for different streams.  
Cheers
Pär W
celestine

you got me wrong, as said, you allready use your serial-usb, so this is busy for that purpose.

and you even found an better plugin for signalk to get your idea solved. there are many ways to the same aim.
this is why we become creators, we need only small tips for the right direction to find the goal.

sorry for my german spell,
holger