This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with tinypilot as wifi client.
Using tinypilot as a wifi client. It's software is almost a year old.
Using a microtik access point.
Have all clients set for static ips via dhcp.
tinypilot sets the wrong address often.
Worse yet it changes ip while running sometimes.
Other clients work properly.
One it pi0w with raspbian buster lite.

Anyone having this problem?
Any suggestions.
as a client tinypilot is using dhcp so the ip address can change.

I will try to support fixed ip for clients in a future version. For now the easiest solution is to have your access point assign static ip based on mac addresses.
(2020-06-03, 05:27 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: as a client tinypilot is using dhcp so the ip address can change.

I will try to support fixed ip for clients in a future version.   For now the easiest solution is to have your access point assign static ip based on mac addresses.

Fixed it.

Was setting fixed ip based on mac address.
Looked at the log on tinypilot and wifi router and the fault was on the router.
Apparently  there were 2 leases in the cache.
Was more careful about blowing away the wrong lease and it seems OK now.
Sorry to bother you.
Got a little more related to this.

Loaded new image of tinypilot.
Very worthwhile.
Still get wrong address sometimes. Logs indicated it being the access point but like to see a dump of the network traffic and that's challenging to do in this environment. Tinypilot is the only client with the problem.

One thing I did find is when tinypilot renews it's dhcp lease it looses networking for a while.
This causes problems.
I  changed the lease time to 24 hours,  the max I can set from 10 minutes.
At least will have issues less often.
Am using kplex to connect pypilot to my nmea router.
It would loose connection and it would drop out of wind or gps.
Set kplex to persist so hopefully it will continue anyway.

Anyhow I suggest lengthening the lease time on your access point if you use tinypilot as a wifi client.
As I recall others are reporting loosing connections occasionally.