This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Settings not updating
Hi,

When I try to change settings in pypilot Control/client or calibration (tab settings) the changes will not take effect. I run my system with an hydrualic pump that when starting draws  quite alot of amps and therefore I need to increase "max_current". 

I have tried to tweak this in many ways, including wrinting directly in the pypilot.conf file, but I cannot go beyond 18 amps.

Anyone that can help me in the right direction? Huh

/Joakim
If you write directly to pypilot.conf it needs to be done when the autopilot is not running.

The maximum current for the regular controller is limited in software to around 20 amps, the limit should not be 18. You should decrease the max slew speed to very low values <10 to make the motor start slowly. This will greatly decrease the current spike at startup and help keep under the current limit.

The regular controller is not intended to work with motors that draw more than 7 or 8 amps because eventually it can overheat. You could try using relays, or try somehow to reduce current.

The hydraulic controller is intended for motors up to 20 amps but supports 40-60 amp in peaks. This controller can handle 3-4x the power but maybe I need a 30 amp version??

What hydraulic pump is this? Is your rudder very heavy?
(2020-06-06, 01:04 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: If you write directly to pypilot.conf it needs to be done when the autopilot is not running.

The maximum current for the regular controller is limited in software to around 20 amps, the limit should not be 18.   You should decrease the max slew speed to very low values <10 to make the motor start slowly.   This will greatly decrease the current spike at startup and help keep under the current limit.

The regular controller is not intended to work with motors that draw more than 7 or 8 amps because eventually it can overheat.   You could try using relays, or try somehow to reduce current.

The hydraulic controller is intended for motors up to 20 amps but supports 40-60 amp  in peaks.  This controller can handle 3-4x the power but maybe I need a 30 amp version??

What hydraulic pump is this?  Is your rudder very heavy?

Hi  Sean,

Thanks for your reply. I have figured after a while that the limit was controlled by the software. 

My pump should not draw that much Power according to the specs, top 6 amps (Comnav 1420) and after some tweaking with slew speed to low values I got it to work, but not flawless. After some more research i found that my resistance for measuring the current was not 0.01 ohms but 0.1 ohms... Therefore I got to high readings on the current.

I switched it to highlevel (pin 4 and 5 to high) and got some lower readings. I did a in water test today that turned out to success! My boat, a motorsailor Viksund 25, Went rock steady.

I will get a resistor soon with the right specs.

Thanks for a great work!

Joakim
At 6 amps, a 0.1 ohm resistor will get hot, so better to use 0.01 ohms, or 0.0005 ohms with an amplifier for even less.