This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pypilot and Celestial Navigation Plugin
Hi,

the other day, at the begining of march, I was sailing to the island of Ibiza.

The Tinypilot was stearing so I had the time to take out my old sextant .....

I was courious to try the OpenCPN Plugin witch I found that was also done by the help of Sean.

This was a great way to control my calculations. I leave you a photo where you can see.

And as this forum is alout Pypilot have a look at the left of the picture so you can see pypilot is activated (green)

Thanks a lot to all who have contributed .....

Save Sailing
Andreas

[Image: attachment.php?aid=985]

Attached Files Image(s)

Impressive sights of yours, sir; mine are not that precise yet. But certainly yet another excellent piece of software by Sean, a seemingly effortless implementation of complex algorithms, and a cherry on the cake of centuries of experience of great navigators and brilliant minds. Chappeau!
Great to see celestial navigation in action! I never managed to get a sextant better than a CD in a case with mirrors glued to it.. but I find celestial navigation very interesting regardless. Maybe some day a digital camera could take continuous sights, even through clouds with a UV camera.

Are those actual sights you took with a sextant? It's difficult to tell since the scale is hidden, but it seems incredible to get 5 sights to overlap like that.
(2020-06-13, 08:41 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: Great to see celestial navigation in action!   I never managed to get a sextant better than a CD in a case with mirrors glued to it.. but I find celestial navigation very interesting regardless.   Maybe some day a digital camera could take continuous sights, even through clouds with a UV camera.

Are those actual sights you took with a sextant?   It's difficult to tell since the scale is hidden, but it seems incredible to get 5 sights to overlap like that.

Hi Sean,

The sights are taken with a german CLASSENS+PLATH  sextant. All sights are taken of the sun, starting in the mornig 09:00 (light blue) and ending afternoon (ogrange). You see how the Azimut of the sun is moving clockwise over the time from about 140' to  210´.

In your plugin I had to change the option "Minutes Certainty" to 0.50 so the line did not become to thick.
Then I  moved all the sights exept the last with your tab "DR shift" in the distance and direction I have being sailing since I have took every single sight. So that gives you what you see at the picture.

I have to admid that one was out of place so I deleted that sight ;-)

I also use to take moon and planets/stars, then you can take tham all at once .....

I carry the sight reduction tables and almanac so I also calculate them without calculator just with a pen and then do the drawings. Every season the first ones are hard. But after a cupple of them you become saver and faster .....

Nowadays it is more a hobby and keeping of tradition and it gives me an other view of the importance of tecnology or how much
we beleeve and depend on it an its exactitude. What do we realy need ..... but I become philosophic ... sorry

All this was while PYPILOT was steering.

Greetings and save sailing
Andreas
Great stuff Sean and Andreas. I’ll have to get my plastic Ebbco out and as I’m nearly a hundred miles from a true horizon I’ll have to find a puddle on a windless day! Or some other artificial horizon. Have read about diy sextants using cd rom, but a long time ago.