This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open Plotter 2.0, USB GPS, Berry IMU, Momentary on/off switch with LED and 1Wire.
I just setup a new Pi 3 system ready for this season and created a one note doc as I went the attached is a PDF of the one note page
forgot the attachment?
I couldn't upload a PDF for some reason, so I have split into separate files:

Pages 1 and 2

Page 3 and 4

Page 5 and 6

Page 7 and 8

Page 9

really, page 9

Attached Files
.pdf   OpenPlotter 2_0 page 1.pdf (Size: 536.99 KB / Downloads: 522)
.pdf   OpenPlotter 2_0 page 2.pdf (Size: 436.39 KB / Downloads: 457)
.pdf   OpenPlotter 2_0 page 4.pdf (Size: 298.08 KB / Downloads: 465)
.pdf   OpenPlotter 2_0 page 3.pdf (Size: 536.26 KB / Downloads: 422)
.pdf   OpenPlotter 2_0 page 6.pdf (Size: 371.7 KB / Downloads: 386)
.pdf   OpenPlotter 2_0 page 5.pdf (Size: 458.79 KB / Downloads: 395)
.pdf   OpenPlotter 2_0 page 8.pdf (Size: 359.93 KB / Downloads: 387)
.pdf   OpenPlotter 2_0 page 7.pdf (Size: 448.78 KB / Downloads: 383)
.pdf   OpenPlotter 2_0 page 9.pdf (Size: 415.9 KB / Downloads: 352)
thanks for sharing. some details:

- Page 3 says: "Press apply when finished. While in Signal K, goto Plugin Config and look at "Convert Signal K to NMEA0183". Set as active and check: GGA, HDG, HDM, RMB, RMC." and that is not correct, if you send NMEA 0183 data, it will be converted to SK format but it will be also send to TCP 10110 in NMEA 0183 format so no conversion is required.

- Is the LSM9DS1 or LSM9DS0 IMU? does it calibrate? I have one of them but not tested yet.

- BMP280 or BMP180 are not supported yet but you are using BME280 and MS6607... settings, is this working?
Sailoog,

Thanks for the reply and also thanks for the great job on this platform!

Quote:- Page 3 says: "Press apply when finished. While in Signal K, goto Plugin Config and look at "Convert Signal K to NMEA0183". Set as active and check: GGA, HDG, HDM, RMB, RMC." and that is not correct, if you send NMEA 0183 data, it will be converted to SK format but it will be also send to TCP 10110 in NMEA 0183 format so no conversion is required.
I was not seeing any GPS info being relayed to OpenCPN, so after some head scratching and googling I found a page that said to make the Convert Signal K to NMEA0183 plugin active and select RMB only.  after doing this the GPS data was showing up in OpenCPN, but OpenCPN was using the GPS compass as the direction of the boat and was randomly rotating with GPS error - when the HDG, HDM, were added and now the boat direction seems to be using the IMU compass and is stable.

Quote: Is the LSM9DS1 or LSM9DS0 IMU? does it calibrate? I have one of them but not tested yet.
the version of the BerryIMU I have is version 2.0 and has the S1.  the calibration process is a little fuzzy to me and I don't have the Pi infront of me.  on the first page I was able to align the boat (boat is level) and offset to make the compass read the same as the boat compass.  The boat is on land for the next two weeks so, I could not check if it stays correct, but the two other tabs that are part of the calibration app were saying that either more data was needed or that the points were outside of range - I was a little unclear as to what was expected and what the process was.

Quote:- BMP280 or BMP180 are not supported yet but you are using BME280 and MS6607... settings, is this working?

I was seeing BME280 pressure, temperature and humidity showing up.  The pressure was showing 980mbar which sounds right and temperature was showing 294K in my basement, which also sounds right.  I was not getting a reading for Humidity - that didn't seem to work.  not sure if that is calculated or not though?
Thank you for sharing this! I have not gone through all of it yet but as I am new to this anything with step by step instructions is very valuable.
Thanks Techstyle. I am awaiting delivery of the same Berry IMU so I'm very pleased to see that someone else has one working on the Pi. I'll follow your great guide.

I also initially had an issue with getting GPS data through from the Serial set up through Signal K back to OpenCpn via TCP. However this was easily fixed when I realised that the default baud rate was not set at 4800 (it was higher). Once fixed, the GPS data is all flowing seamlessly through via TCP with no need to use the NMEA output app.