This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
parking sensors nmea2k ?
Hi All,

I was wondering if there is any NMEA2k messages that are appropriate for proximity "parking sensor" data that could be displayed on a proprietary MFD? 

I'm working on a little project to use ESP8266 ultrasonic sensors as a bit of assistance docking a 14m catamaran. 

I'm thinking to add a few battery powered units on the 4 corners of the vessel, and I'm wondering about options for displaying the data from them. 

Appreciate any help with this.

Regards,
Barry.
... and have it overlayed on a camera view like in some cars parking assistants ..... great idea and possibly another step towards selfdocking systems for yachts Smile
Please keep posting your progress.
(2020-06-15, 03:55 AM)SkipperEarly Wrote: ... and have it overlayed on a camera view like in some cars parking assistants ..... great idea and possibly another step towards selfdocking systems for yachts Smile  
Please keep posting your progress.

Big Grin Big Grin  Exactly, with the electric drives, in theory. on a calm day, with no wind, or tide, or other boats, or ...

In reality, I think I'll have a better chance training the dog to swim ashore with a clove hitch and drop it over a bollard.

I would like to hack something to show up on that lovely MFD screen though. There are general alarm message PGNs that could be customised, it could perhaps just display the metres and the sensor ID,   "Port stern 3M"  etc. The only proximity PGN thing I saw was AIS alarms, I don't think that's appropriate. 

I've thought about cameras too, but the audio feedback is more likely to be useful when you are busy running around with lines.

I can usually guess well enough these days, but I've had the boat for years now, it would be great to have shortened that learning curve, and saved me a bit of gel coat filler.