This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OP2 Wifi automatic re-connect
I've got a RPI4 with Openplotter 2 installed.

I've an additional USB wifi dongle to connect to the local harbour internet.

I have two issues I'm trying to tackle:

1) I would like the wifi dongle to reconnect to known wifi access points meaning I don't need to manually instruct it to connect (via the wifi icon in menu top bar) 
2) The wifi should be shared, but this seems only occasionally be working. I did not yet find what setting to use to always route the internet traffic via the USB dongle wifi.

any advice on how to correctly configure this?
connect you external usb to the harbour - this is done in the Menubar. It will remember your ssid/user/pw.

then in OP-network set your internal pi wlan to make your AP. later on the right side set it to share "auto" or your external USB.

but here maybe some issures - here in europe you can use only 1 6 11 Channels for the 2.4GHz wifi because overlapping channels. And if your harbour uses channel 11, don't set your own AP also to 11 - instead use another 1 or 6 - whatever is free or lesser used. So you wont interfere with your own Frequencies.

good luck

holger
thanks for the reply.

My challenge is that I want OP to reconnect to these known AP's once they are in reach. 
Each harbour has it's own accesspoints and I would like it to re-connect without me having to go into the vnc client and to push it to reconnect.
The PasswortS etc. are remembered automatisch in an hidden hash linux file. Like in your Phone.
This is the normal behavior. Nothing openplotter Specific.
I have the same issue - and the answer that SSID and passwords are remembered is not addressing the issue!

Under Win10 you have an optional "connect automatically" tag, my Android phone connects to any previous known WiFi automatically when in reach again
BUT the raspi OP2 does not reconnect to an interrupted wifi connection automatically. In fact I sometimes even fail to reconnect manually from the taskbar - only solution is to reboot.
(2020-06-21, 11:30 AM)SkipperEarly Wrote: BUT the raspi OP2 does not reconnect to an interrupted wifi connection automatically. In fact I sometimes even fail to reconnect manually from the taskbar - only solution is to reboot.

Works OK here on a Pi3 & Pi4 board, turn off the external wifi network and on again the Pi just reconnects automatically. Using internal wifi adapter to create local network and log on to mobile phone network for internet access.
@PaddyB: hmmmm ... not on my system.
Will reinstall the OP-networking and hope it solves the issue - it worked in the past. I recently noticed some strange wifi behavior, trying to reconnect to the wifi from the taskbar does something (hourglas) but does not reconnect and keeps saying "associated" but not "connected".
(2020-06-21, 10:16 PM)SkipperEarly Wrote: @PaddyB: hmmmm ... not on my system.
Will reinstall the OP-networking and hope it solves the issue - it worked in the past. I recently noticed some strange wifi behavior, trying to reconnect to the wifi from the taskbar does something (hourglas) but does not reconnect and keeps saying "associated" but not "connected".

Screenshot of your network setup might help? 

Mine >
[Image: mKFoPKL.png]
This is not an OpenPlotter behavior. Possibly, this feature can be added. This is native to Linux and the Raspberry Pi OS.  If you google the issue, you will find people asking these same questions for quite a few years.

The solution that I see most being implemented is to write a script checking the status of the network, most often by pinging a well established site, like Google, and if it fails, reinitializing the network.  Then call this script every few seconds with a cron job to make it run automatically.

If you google this, the scripts and directions to use them have already been written.