This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moitessier HAT - No GPS
Here:
https://www.segeln-forum.de/board194-boo...ost2166480
somebody had the same mistake (no gps with same config // MCS and moitessier) and has found out that the ssd is the problem.
I had about an hour this evening. I disconnected the USB 3 hub, removed the USB 3 WiFi dongle, and formatted a new SD card with the OpenPlotter Moitessier HAT image. I started the Pi, went through the initial setup sans the update at the end, updated OpenPlotter apps needing it, and installed the MCS app.

The SSD is unplugged and there is nothing plugged in either of  the USB 3 ports. The DC converter is powered down.
Internet is through the Ethernet cable. I think this is as basic a setup as there can be.

I tried both with and without the patch antenna.  I couldnt get outside. I was working inside, so didn't have a clear view of the sky. The green light remained solid and I never got a GPS fix.

I'll try again tomorrow with the project outside, having a view of the sky.
I had time this morning and can confirm that My problem is the SSD.  I first powered up the USB 3 hub without plugging in the USB 3 cable to the pi to test the DC converter.  GPS functions.  I then plugged in the USB 3 cables and the GPS functions.  I then plugged in the SSD and the GPS stops functioning.  Unplug the SSD and it starts working again.

The other day I found out that GPS antenna I had must be bad or of bad quality.  When I plug it in, GPS signal is cut at least in half. (I have no way to measure, but it seems that way)  I'm going to order another, but need to make a better choice.  The $10 Amazon Antenna is going back.

Why would the SSD cause interference with the GPS signal?  Is there a way to shield it, or do you think a different SSD might have less interference?

One more test...I moved the SSD outside the case, plugged into one of the USB ports on the hub. The SSD is now about 4 feet away from the Pi and everything seems to be working.
I like the speed and better reliability of the SSD over the SD.

Should I just purchase a USB GPS module and relocate the GPS outside of the enclosure?

If this is the best case, which module would you recommend?
(2020-06-21, 03:27 PM)jamieFL Wrote: I had time this morning and can confirm that My problem is the SSD.  I first powered up the USB 3 hub without plugging in the USB 3 cable to the pi to test the DC converter.  GPS functions.  I then plugged in the USB 3 cables and the GPS functions.  I then plugged in the SSD and the GPS stops functioning.  Unplug the SSD and it starts working again.

The other day I found out that GPS antenna I had must be bad or of bad quality.  When I plug it in, GPS signal is cut at least in half. (I have no way to measure, but it seems that way)  I'm going to order another, but need to make a better choice.  The $10 Amazon Antenna is going back.

Why would the SSD cause interference with the GPS signal?  Is there a way to shield it, or do you think a different SSD might have less interference?

One more test...I moved the SSD outside the case, plugged into one of the USB ports on the hub.  The SSD is now about 4 feet away from the Pi and everything seems to be working.

I think it is because of poor quality of the ssd or bad shirmed USB3.0 cable. Don´t realy know but have heared it multiply times....
Interesting and mysterious issue...
I've had my project running for about 3 days and the GPS has been pretty reliable even though my project is running indoors. So, the issue causing my problem was the SSD drive. BUMMER...
(2020-06-25, 04:28 PM)jamieFL Wrote: I've had my project running for about 3 days and the GPS has been pretty reliable even though my project is running indoors. So, the issue causing my problem was the SSD drive. BUMMER...

Yesterday I had similar issue.

I plugged a USB 3.0 4 ports hub, and without plugging anything else in it , I lost my GPS connection. Other ports were used by USB to serial, logitech keyboard wireless and touch control of monitor. GPS from the miitessier hat 2 on PI 4 4Gb.sd card running. 

I got crazy until I thought that the hub was something new I added. (is also upgraded opencpn and all Openplotter apps to latest version 

AIS was working no issues, just the GPS.

I will try today to plug it again and see if that's the culprit.
Survive USB3 Interference: https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=3062
(2021-04-26, 04:55 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Survive USB3 Interference: https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=3062

Thanks Siloog, Great to have you back; i read your other post. Hope that all is fine with you and yours!

Will check the link!

I  have even recorded a video of the poltergeist because whatever the usb3.0 device I migth plugged I started losing gps signal (ais and Wifi ok) until just 1-3 satellites or none (complete blackout).

Finally doing trials , I unplugged everything and plugged and let the SSD disk alone, restarted and all went  fine, then I plugged again all other devices (touch monitor, logitech wireless Unifying , USB3.0 hub and USb to serial) and now I even get more saterllites tyhan before (20-21! when before max 13-15)

My Powersupply is 3 Amps DC-DC converter 12-5V , so strentgh of power is discarded.

Huh

So finally, good news and no video needed...  Smile

The important thing is that all works now!